unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix+Jenkins slides/video
@ 2021-10-04  9:54 Phil
From: Phil @ 2021-10-04  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi all,

A few of you might know me from guix-help or the Guix reddit channel.

I did a talk last week and there's been some interest so thought I'd
post the link here:
https://www.devopsworld.com/agenda/session/617842

Slides are available at the bottom without registration.  The video
requires registration (and needs full screen).

This is still a work in progress, so any suggestions, comments,
questions very welcome.

Current work is focusing on generating AWS Lambda functions in Jenkins
using Guix profiles, and making Guix-Juptyer available on our Jenkins
deployments - depending on progress we could offer to do talks at Guix
Days 2021 on these.

Cheers,
Phil.

* Re: Guix+Jenkins slides/video
@ 2021-10-11 10:36 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-10-11 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil, Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Phil,

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 12:30, Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> wrote:

> https://www.devopsworld.com/agenda/session/617842
>
> Slides are available at the bottom without registration.  The video
> requires registration (and needs full screen).

Cool!  Thanks.

(Although the registration is not so nice, another story. ;-))

> This is still a work in progress, so any suggestions, comments,
> questions very welcome.

Could you list what appears to you missing from Cuirass to support your needs?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Guix+Jenkins slides/video
@ 2021-10-15  6:59   ` Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2021-10-15  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Mathieu Othacehe, Guix Devel

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 12:36 PM zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>

> On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 at 12:30, Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > https://www.devopsworld.com/agenda/session/617842
> >
> > Slides are available at the bottom without registration.  The video
> > requires registration (and needs full screen).
>
> Cool!  Thanks.
>
> (Although the registration is not so nice, another story. ;-))
>
> > This is still a work in progress, so any suggestions, comments,
> > questions very welcome.
>
> Could you list what appears to you missing from Cuirass to support your
> needs?
>

> Cheers,
> simon

Hi Phil

I am also really interested in this topic, where did you host the package
definition? Is it in the same repo as the source code?

@zimoun I would also prefer to use Cuirass, could you sketch a similar
setup with Cuirass?

Cheers,
Reza

* Re: Guix+Jenkins slides/video
@ 2021-10-21 19:21 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-10-21 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello!

Phil <phil@beadling.co.uk> skribis:

> A few of you might know me from guix-help or the Guix reddit channel.
>
> I did a talk last week and there's been some interest so thought I'd
> post the link here:
> https://www.devopsworld.com/agenda/session/617842

I discover this pretty late, the slides are insightful!

> Slides are available at the bottom without registration.  The video
> requires registration (and needs full screen).
>
> This is still a work in progress, so any suggestions, comments,
> questions very welcome.

You mention functional overlap between Jenkins and Guix somewhere, and I
can see that, mostly when it comes with scheduling (the same sort of
problem shows up in Cuirass and in the Build Coordinator, mostly because
guix-daemon makes opaque scheduling/offloading decisions.)

The motivating example is interesting.  Do you find that ‘guix pull’ and
‘guix time-machine’ serve you well for CI, or are they too slow?
Perhaps you pin the ‘guix’ channel?

> Current work is focusing on generating AWS Lambda functions in Jenkins
> using Guix profiles, and making Guix-Juptyer available on our Jenkins
> deployments - depending on progress we could offer to do talks at Guix
> Days 2021 on these.

Oh so you also use Guix-Jupyter?  I’m interested in whatever feedback
you may have.  :-)

Thanks for sharing!

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix+Jenkins slides/video
@ 2021-10-21 19:26     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-10-21 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reza.housseini; +Cc: Mathieu Othacehe, Guix Devel

Hi Reza,

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 at 08:59, Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> wrote:

> @zimoun I would also prefer to use Cuirass, could you sketch a similar setup with Cuirass?

Well, it is really low on my TODO list.  Do not hold your breath. :-)
Maybe, you could give a try and report your progress to
help-guix@gnu.org or guix-devel.  I am sure you will get valuable
feedback to reach the goal.

All the best,
simon