Hi Simon, all, I'll give your long and thoughtful reply the attention it deserves when I have time, but there's another misleading tangent that has bothered me (elsewhere) in this discussion: > - cathedral, as it is today This is revisionist. The Bazaar model perfectly describes Guix, where everyone is free to submit changes and have them critiqued and revised in public. Even maintainers are expected to submit. Changes that meet $criteria are merged into a source tree immediately available to everyone. Guix has never used the Cathedral model, where patch submission and discussion happen behind closed doors, to be released unto the public as a revelation from on high. ‘People push nontrivial changes without review’ was never a condition of the Bazaar model or what made it successful. The book was based on LKML, for heaven's sake! :-) We can find a cute new name for what's being proposed in this thread (the Wailing Wall model?), but simply declaring ‘the Bazaar is called Cathedral now, change my mind’ can't work. Kind regards, T G-R