Mekeor Melire writes: > 2023-09-13 16:36 mail@cbaines.net: > >> I think this has been talked about for a while [1], but I want to >> make it happen. Currently the guix-daemon is still similar to the >> nix-daemon that it was forked from, and is implemented in C++. I >> think that a Guile implementation of the guix-daemon will simplify >> Guix and better support hacking on and around the daemon to add new >> features and move Guix forward. > > Yippie! I'm really excited about this; and convinced that it'll > greatly impact and improve the Guix project. > >> I'd like to hear what people think about which direction the >> implementation should go, and what features they'd like to see. > > Here's a feature-request (in the long-run). But I'm not sure if I > understand correctly that a new, improved Guix-daemon enables us to > implement this. Sorry if I'm wrong. I'd like to be able to step > through the build-process of a package phase-by-phase and see what > changed after each phase by looking at the file-tree. This definitely isn't in the minimal scope, but it's something that I think having the Guile daemon will maybe make easier to do. Given the phases are running inside the builder script, I think you'd need to have that cooperate somehow, and with the help of the daemon connect somehow to the user so that they can pause and resume the build process, and inspect the internal state of the builder. The daemon could also provide access to process/filesystem information as well.