unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Question about changing versioning for TeX Live packages
@ 2024-06-15 17:07 Nicolas Goaziou via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Nicolas Goaziou via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-06-15 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I'd like to change versioning for TeX Live packages. Currently, it
refers to a revision number in the upstream SVN repository, such as
70951.

I'd rather use tags from TeX Live releases, e.g., "2023.0", for at least
two reasons:

1. We don't need a granularity to the revision level for TeX Live
   packages;
2. Revision numbers are not very user-friendly, while tags are.

In a nutshell, my plan is to change version for all packages from
(revision) 66594 to the equivalent tag "2023.0". Unfortunately, as
mathematics go, 2023 is lesser than 66594. As a consequence, this may
introduce trouble when upgrading those packages. Therefore, my question
is the following: how could I proceed to make this version change as
smooth as possible for end-users?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou

only message in thread, other threads:[~2024-06-15 17:08 UTC | newest]