unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Fabio Natali <me@fabionatali.com>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Cc: Steve George <steve@futurile.net>,
	Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net>,
	Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net>
Subject: Of Guix London, Guix Social, and a Guix outreach group
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 11:10:49 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi All. 👋

The organisers behind Guix London (Arun, Chris, Fabio, and Steve - all
CCed) had the chance to have a quick planning call last Friday. This
email is to share some elements of our conversation, in case it can be
of interest to the broader community.

tl;dr:

- Guix London will be renamed to Guix Social.
- We'll be starting a "Guix outreach group", open to everyone who wants
  to discuss/organise events and social activities.

A bit more fleshed out:

Guix London started one year ago as a series of in-person events but
most of what we do these days is fully or primarily online. We discussed
whether it makes sense for us to continue having "London" as part of our
name and eventually decided to go for something non-geographically
specific, like "Guix Social".

Parallel to this, we found yesterday's meeting useful and we're planning
to have regular calls like that, to propose ideas and organise work
around social activities. We'd like these calls to be open to everyone
and not to be limited to Guix London or Guix Social.

This could be the beginning of a "Guix outreach group", for all people
who want to discuss or organise Guix-related events and social
activities. If all goes well, this could become the playground to
experiment with the principles of sociocracy that were discussed at Guix
Days in February.

Finally, we agreed that it'd be useful to have a page on the Guix
website that lists (and links to) all the various communities - there's
a few that came to mind already beyond Guix London. This would bring to
light a small constellation of loosely coupled groups that exist around
the project already and it'd make them more easily discoverable to
newcomers. We might put a proposal/patch together in that sense in the
coming days/weeks and submit it for review.

We'll keep you posted on how things develop and on when we plan to meet
up next time. In the meanwhile, let us know if you have any question or
idea.

Last not least, our next (online) meetup is a talk by Guix and Debian
hacker Vagrant Cascadian - who'll be telling us about Reproducible
Builds and the tools in Guix that facilitate reproducibility. Thursday
11th July 2024, from 5pm UTC. Save the date!

https://meet.jit.si/london-guix-meetup

Thanks, cheers, Guix London/Social.

--
Fabio Natali