* Data Services: use cases
@ 2020-10-12 13:26 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-12 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel, Christopher Baines

Hi Chris,

Since blog post about Data Services seems floating around, I describe
what I find useful as an end-user of the service.  And if you have not
showed me IRL at FOSDEM (and you showed me several times ;-)), then I
would not be using the service so often.

To me, the entry point is always:

  <https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/PACKAGE>

and to be exact <https://data.guix.gnu.org/…/PACKAGE/output-history>.

Even, I have this Emacs trivial helper function:

(defun my/guix-data (package)
  "Add URL of PACKAGE to `kill-ring'.

Yankable result:
`https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/PACKAGE/output-history'.

With `universal-argument', load URL using `browse-url'."
  (interactive "sPackage: ")
  (let ((url
         (format
          "https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/%s/output-history" package)))
    (kill-new url)
    (when current-prefix-arg
      (browse-url url))
    (message (format "%s killed." url))))

(This dumb function could be improved using “guix-emacs” with package
completion etc.  But the time to implement such thing is not worth for
me because I generally exactly know which package I look up. :-))

Let’s take the recent example of the package ’python-umap-learn’ [1].
From the webpage, it is quick and easy to see which version build or
fail.  Then, once I know that:

       Version	Output	Builds	From	To

“From” means the date of the first commit corresponding to Version ––
specifically at the derivation.  And “To” resp. the last commit.

Then I can click to say the “To” date of the last “Succeeded” build and
it leads to the webpage:

 <https://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/cac674d99dc4a332e6210c57ec7f1b8164f66642>

which provides the commit hash.  Now, it is easy to use the
time-machine:

   guix time-machine –commit=cac674d99dc4a332e6210c57ec7f1b8164f66642 \
        – install python-umap-learn

Time to time, I click to “Failed Dependency” but I do not know how this
information is accurate.

Well, I could describe other use cases, but I think this one is really
useful for the end-user:

 - list all the versions available (since Dec. 2019 I guess)
 - know which build and which not
 - easily find the commit for “guix time-machine”

Cheers,
simon

1: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-09/msg00140.html>

* Re: Data Services: use cases
@ 2020-10-13  8:44 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-10-13  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, Guix Devel, Christopher Baines

Hi!

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but ideally it'd be nice if the
interface would be so straightforward it didn't need any instructions to
use :)

In particular, the "Version From To" table is hard to grasp to a
newcomer.

During the Guix Days we talked about how to make it a bit more
approachable.  From what I recall:

- Maybe make the timeline bars more visible.

- The timeline is not usable and does not convey much information beside
  an approximate lifespan of versions, which I'm not sure many users
  need.  Consider removing it, or displaying it in a separate graph?

  Ultimately, we need a list of versions with their Guix builds.

- "From" and "To" should probably be renamed "From Guix build" and "To
  Guix build" respectively.

- (More information) should be renamed to something like "Package
  information".

There are probably a few more adjustments we could make.  Any idea?

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

* Re: Data Services: use cases
@ 2020-10-21  9:27   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-10-21  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:

> In particular, the "Version From To" table is hard to grasp to a
> newcomer.

I’m not a newcomer but I find it limpid: I think it immediately shows
that this is about version changes and when they happened.  Maybe it
could be decluttered a bit by using shorter date strings (like
“Oct. 1st” instead of “2020-10-01 18:42:00”).

BTW, when looking at /output-history, the commits in “From” and “To” can
be a bit confusing.  Take:

  https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/openmpi/output-history

I see “To” pointing to
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=ec2a8f602ee0fd2fac2210eeae6d1da091bb47e4>,
a commit that changes ‘mpd’, which ‘openmpi’ doesn’t depend on; this is
completely bogus.  However, the next “From” points to the right commit:
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=d623ece56624fd7d611cdaf42f728b21d89fec5c>.

It’s surprising that “To” and the immediately following “From” are not
the same.

WDYT, Chris?

* Re: Data Services: use cases
@ 2020-10-21  9:39     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-10-21  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Ludo!

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> I’m not a newcomer but I find it limpid: I think it immediately shows
> that this is about version changes and when they happened.

What about the 4 points I listed?  I find that they make a case for what
could be improved in terms of clarity.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

* Re: Data Services: use cases
@ 2020-10-21 10:19     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-10-21 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi Ludo,

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 at 11:27, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:
>
> > In particular, the "Version From To" table is hard to grasp to a
> > newcomer.
>
> I’m not a newcomer but I find it limpid: I think it immediately shows
> that this is about version changes and when they happened.  Maybe it
> could be decluttered a bit by using shorter date strings (like
> “Oct. 1st” instead of “2020-10-01 18:42:00”).

On my side, short date and short commit hash appearing (avoiding the
click) would be nice. :-)

> BTW, when looking at /output-history, the commits in “From” and “To” can
> be a bit confusing.  Take:
>
>   https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/openmpi/output-history
>
> I see “To” pointing to
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=ec2a8f602ee0fd2fac2210eeae6d1da091bb47e4>,
> a commit that changes ‘mpd’, which ‘openmpi’ doesn’t depend on; this is
> completely bogus.  However, the next “From” points to the right commit:
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=d623ece56624fd7d611cdaf42f728b21d89fec5c>.
>
> It’s surprising that “To” and the immediately following “From” are not
> the same.

I recently have a very similar issue [1].  And based on my
investigations [2], the issue seems "commit date vs author date";
especially when merges are floating around.  Because of that, from
"From" to "To" is not always accurate.  Chris, could you confirm?

1: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-10/msg00084.html>
2: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-10/msg00096.html>

All the best,
simon