unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Dealing with foreign distros without nscd
@ 2020-08-28  9:38 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-08-28  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

One of the most important pieces of advice we give to use Guix on
foreign distros is to make sure the distro runs nscd, so we don’t end up
dlopening NSS modules in Guix-produced programs:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Application-Setup.html#Name-Service-Switch

A situation where this is not possible is HPC clusters: you would like
to run packs there, but you’re not root and cannot spawn nscd, and those
machines typically use a Red Hat derivative with ‘sssd’:

$ grep sss /etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd:     files sss
shadow:     files sss
group:      files sss
services:   files sss
netgroup:   files sss
automount:  files sss

If you try to run binaries from ‘guix pack’ there, they’ll fail to find
libnss_sss.so, and so user name lookups etc. (e.g., getpw(3)) will fail.

The workaround I found is to add ‘sssd’ to the pack, like so:

  guix pack -RR -S /lib=lib -S /bin=bin sssd guile

That way, on the other machine, you can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH such that
Guix’ libnss_sss.so gets loaded:

  tar xf /path/to/pack.tgz
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/lib ./bin/guile -c '(pk (getpw (getuid)))'

It works!  However, if people have ideas of less arcane workarounds, I’m
interested.

For the record, I pushed one commit that fixes ‘sssd’¹ and another one
to have LD_LIBRARY_PATH honored when using
GUIX_EXECUTION_ENGINE=fakechroot².

Ludo’.

¹ https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=8df6900dffa9e1c74ac3f64877f067974eee0eeb
² https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=28dce8f02db38a41e59ecdf3786baa6f732636ff