Léo Le Bouter writes: > On Sat, 2021-03-06 at 21:35 +0000, Christopher Baines wrote: > > In general I think binary translation is very wasteful use of computing > resources. At least use something like this: > http://csl.iis.sinica.edu.tw/hqemu/ - otherwise I think building > natively is at the end less costly. Reducing waste is all about trade offs, if using inefficient emulation means you have less hardware, then it can reduce waste. >> I'd like the Guix Build Coordinator agents to be able to report the >> configuration of the machine at the time builds happen, so maybe once >> that's a feature, and QEMU support can be detected, then it'll be >> possible to look for cases where a change in QEMU support affects the >> build result. > > What about including such metadata in Nars directly? Kernel name and > version string, system/target, processor model.. or is that too > privacy-invasive..? Maybe make such opt-in. There are things that rely on the hash of the nar, and adding changable metadata would make things complicated.