unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates branch
@ 2021-03-26 20:10 Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-03-26 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

There is two ways to ship security fixes to packages:

1. Update to a patched version if upstream provides one
2. Apply or backport individual patches to fix the issues in the
shipped version

Grafts are most reliable for 2. but there's cases where using 2. is
lots of work and we can't afford that right now. An example is
ImageMagick where not all security issues get a CVE so essentially the
only way of getting security fixes is to fetch master or get the latest
release.

There's also some types of packages where we are not sure whether we
can use grafting or not, such as Python ones.

For these reasons, I would like to propose a new branch called
security-updates that would be based on master where we queue security
fixes that introduce any arbitrary number of rebuilds without using
grafts.

We would merge the security-updates branch as soon as there is complete
substitute availability for the branch and it's future merged version
within master.

The downsides of this approach are that:

1. Substitutes availability does not mean we can ship the updates
quickly because this might mean hundreds of megabytes if not gigabytes
of new substitutes to fetch to actually get the update.
2. Users that don't use substitutes will suffer big rebuilds on each
security update shipped through this branch.

For these reasons, grafting should still be preferred when possible,
but there are cases where it cannot be used for technical reasons or
lack of resources reasons but we still must provide a fix quickly.

What do you think?

Léo

* Re: Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates branch
@ 2021-03-26 22:13 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2021-03-26 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: guix-devel

Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> writes:

> There is two ways to ship security fixes to packages:
>
> 1. Update to a patched version if upstream provides one
> 2. Apply or backport individual patches to fix the issues in the
> shipped version
>
> Grafts are most reliable for 2. but there's cases where using 2. is
> lots of work and we can't afford that right now. An example is
> ImageMagick where not all security issues get a CVE so essentially the
> only way of getting security fixes is to fetch master or get the latest
> release.
>
> There's also some types of packages where we are not sure whether we
> can use grafting or not, such as Python ones.
>
> For these reasons, I would like to propose a new branch called
> security-updates that would be based on master where we queue security
> fixes that introduce any arbitrary number of rebuilds without using
> grafts.
>
> We would merge the security-updates branch as soon as there is complete
> substitute availability for the branch and it's future merged version
> within master.
>
> The downsides of this approach are that:
>
> 1. Substitutes availability does not mean we can ship the updates
> quickly because this might mean hundreds of megabytes if not gigabytes
> of new substitutes to fetch to actually get the update.
> 2. Users that don't use substitutes will suffer big rebuilds on each
> security update shipped through this branch.
>
> For these reasons, grafting should still be preferred when possible,
> but there are cases where it cannot be used for technical reasons or
> lack of resources reasons but we still must provide a fix quickly.
>
> What do you think?

Can you clarify what specific problem or problems you're proposing this
security-updates branch to address?

You mention applying and backporting patches is lots of work, and
uncertainty around whether grafts work in particular
situations.

Personally I think staging and core-updates are quite a bit of work, and
adding more complexity to the process involves more work in my
mind. Additionally, this isn't going to provide more information about
areas where grafts can't be used (if those exist).

Now the software involved is getting better at rapidly building things
for substitutes, personally I see a way forward through trying to
measure and potentially increase the rate of change for outputs in
general. Going faster also involves more work probably, but in terms of
the process, that might just mean that updates to more packages can be
merged to master directly, without sitting on a non-master branch.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates branch
@ 2021-03-26 22:30   ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-03-26 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 2021-03-26 at 22:13 +0000, Christopher Baines wrote:
> Can you clarify what specific problem or problems you're proposing
> this
> security-updates branch to address?

Substitute availability of security updates when they are released,
without causing big rebuilds on master for users before the build farm
had time to produce substitutes.

> You mention applying and backporting patches is lots of work, and
> uncertainty around whether grafts work in particular
> situations.

Also that some times backporting is just not possible because security
fixes are not properly labeled upstream as security-relevant and manual
review of each and every commit is just not viable.

> Personally I think staging and core-updates are quite a bit of work,
> and
> adding more complexity to the process involves more work in my
> mind. Additionally, this isn't going to provide more information
> about
> areas where grafts can't be used (if those exist).

I understand. There's lot of uncertainty on how grafts work exactly for
me and in what situations they work and what situations they do not.
The only way I am certain some security fix is correctly applied in GNU
Guix is when the vulnerable version of the package is not packaged at
all anymore in GNU Guix.

> Now the software involved is getting better at rapidly building
> things
> for substitutes, personally I see a way forward through trying to
> measure and potentially increase the rate of change for outputs in
> general. Going faster also involves more work probably, but in terms
> of
> the process, that might just mean that updates to more packages can
> be
> merged to master directly, without sitting on a non-master branch.

I would like this, merging things to master directly when we feel it is
the right thing would be what I would like to do. Even if it causes big
world rebuilds, when we can't graft.

There's another thing I saw that was ongoing but can't remember where,
that 'guix pull' could hold off updating to newer revisions unless
substitutes are available.

Thanks for your input.

@ 2021-03-27  8:56     ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2021-03-27  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: guix-devel

Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> writes:

> On Fri, 2021-03-26 at 22:13 +0000, Christopher Baines wrote:
>> Can you clarify what specific problem or problems you're proposing
>> this
>> security-updates branch to address?
>
> Substitute availability of security updates when they are released,
> without causing big rebuilds on master for users before the build farm
> had time to produce substitutes.

Ok.

>> You mention applying and backporting patches is lots of work, and
>> uncertainty around whether grafts work in particular
>> situations.
>
> Also that some times backporting is just not possible because security
> fixes are not properly labeled upstream as security-relevant and manual
> review of each and every commit is just not viable.
>
>> Personally I think staging and core-updates are quite a bit of work,
>> and
>> adding more complexity to the process involves more work in my
>> mind. Additionally, this isn't going to provide more information
>> about
>> areas where grafts can't be used (if those exist).
>
> I understand. There's lot of uncertainty on how grafts work exactly for
> me and in what situations they work and what situations they do not.
> The only way I am certain some security fix is correctly applied in GNU
> Guix is when the vulnerable version of the package is not packaged at
> all anymore in GNU Guix.
>
>> Now the software involved is getting better at rapidly building
>> things
>> for substitutes, personally I see a way forward through trying to
>> measure and potentially increase the rate of change for outputs in
>> general. Going faster also involves more work probably, but in terms
>> of
>> the process, that might just mean that updates to more packages can
>> be
>> merged to master directly, without sitting on a non-master branch.
>
> I would like this, merging things to master directly when we feel it is
> the right thing would be what I would like to do. Even if it causes big
> world rebuilds, when we can't graft.
>
> There's another thing I saw that was ongoing but can't remember where,
> that 'guix pull' could hold off updating to newer revisions unless
> substitutes are available.

I think approaching the substitute availability problem this way, and
supporting users delaying updates if they want to is the way to go, at
least to avoid process on the side of making changes.

I'm hoping things will get better through a combination of these
factors:

 - Measuring the "churn" in Guix, which will hopefully allow for
   intentionally increaseing this

 - Keeping packages more up to date generally

 - Allowing users to choose whether they want the latest packages, or
   want to avoid building things (this means important security updates
   that cause rebuilds can be merged to master)

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates branch
@ 2021-03-27 12:29 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-03-27 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter, guix-devel

Hi Léo,

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 at 21:10, Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:

> For these reasons, I would like to propose a new branch called
> security-updates that would be based on master where we queue security
> fixes that introduce any arbitrary number of rebuilds without using
> grafts.
>
> We would merge the security-updates branch as soon as there is complete
> substitute availability for the branch and it's future merged version
> within master.

Basically, what you are proposing is more or less staging.  The issue is
that the cycles are sometimes longer than expected.  The cycle is
defined as 6 weeks for staging.  Is it really 6 weeks?  Well, It could
be shorter if there is more man power *and* if the build farm is working
better.

About the man power, it is already a good job.  Let plot roughly the
number of days between 2 merges between staging and master.

$ git log --format="%cd|%s" --date=format:"%Y-%m-%d" --after=2019-01-01 \
      | grep Merge | grep staging | grep master                         \
      | cut -d'|' -f1                                                   \
      > /tmp/staging.txt

then this tiny R script:

$ cat /tmp/dates.R
library("ggplot2")

raw <- read.table("/tmp/staging.txt")
dat <- raw$V1
dates <- data.frame(start=strptime(dat[1:length(dat)-1], format="%Y-%m-%d"),
                    end=strptime(dat[2:length(dat)], format="%Y-%m-%d"))
dates$diff <- difftime(dates$start, dates$end, units="days")

p <- ggplot(dates, aes(x=start, y=diff)) + geom_point(color='red') + geom_smooth()
ggsave("/tmp/number-of-days-staging-merges.pdf")

shows the attached graph.  Well, it is variable and the variance and
standard deviation should be considered.  The mean is less then 8 days.

Obviously, I can have done a mistake and this should be taken with grain
of salt.  My point is: we should root the practise on what we are
already doing and see what are the incremental changes to improve.

For example, staging is not merged since a couple of months. Why?
Because none of us is taking the time to make it.  Hard to be close to
the oven and in the same to the mill. :-)

About the build farm, it is doing better and better.  Mathieu introduced
some plots [1] and again I think we should explore a bit the data to see
what is the average time to build staging, how many packages are built
on average, etc.

Moreover, priorities have recently been introduced.  I do know if we
have enough time elapse to see their impacts.  They are per branch,
IIRC, and maybe we could imagine a priority ’properties’ applied for a
package because it is a security update.  IIUC, it is not implemented
yet.  And as I said elsewhere, “to me, security is important. But it's
no less important than everything *else* that is also important!“, so
personally I am not convinced that security updates deserve a special
treatment compared to a regular update.  That’s my opinion. :-)

That’s said, from my point of view, staging or security-updates are only
names but somehow they cover the same idea: update a package with many
dependants and provide the substitutes as soon as it is available.

The key for a better scaling is, IMHO, to tweak what is going to master,
staging and core-updates; as I wrote in [2].

But the real hard part is to collectively make this tough work of
merging branches on the long run.

Cheers,
simon

1: <https://ci.guix.gnu.org/metrics>
2: <https://yhetil.org/guix/86mtv29erk.fsf@gmail.com>

[-- Attachment #2: graph.pdf --]

* Re: Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates branch
@ 2021-03-27 12:42   ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-03-27 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, guix-devel

Thanks for your feedback.

On Sat, 2021-03-27 at 13:29 +0100, zimoun wrote:
> And as I said elsewhere, “to me, security is important. But it's
> no less important than everything *else* that is also important!“, so
> personally I am not convinced that security updates deserve a special
> treatment compared to a regular update.  That’s my opinion. :-)

You can't think this, security updates have prioritized channel of
distribution in every other GNU/Linux distribution, we in GNU Guix
created grafts for it, it's not possible to not ship security updates
promptly, it puts all users at risk.

* Re: Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates branch
@ 2021-03-27 13:56     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-03-27 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter, guix-devel

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 at 13:42, Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2021-03-27 at 13:29 +0100, zimoun wrote:
>> And as I said elsewhere, “to me, security is important. But it's
>> no less important than everything *else* that is also important!“, so
>> personally I am not convinced that security updates deserve a special
>> treatment compared to a regular update.  That’s my opinion. :-)
>
> You can't think this, security updates have prioritized channel of
> distribution in every other GNU/Linux distribution, we in GNU Guix
> created grafts for it, it's not possible to not ship security updates
> promptly, it puts all users at risk.

Oh, I am a big boy and I can think whatever I want! :-)

Kidding aside.

First, what does it mean «risk»?  How do you evaluate it?  Is it a
relative evaluation or an absolute one?

Second, I am not arguing that security is not important.  I am saying
that security is important, as important as everything else that is also
important.  What does it mean «important»?  How do you evaluate it?  Is it a
relative evaluation or an absolute one?

Third, I am aligned with Leo’s words [1].  And probably with yours
too. :-) To me, a better security is not implied by special
treatments for security fixes but instead a better treatment for the
updates in general.

You are proposing a new branch and Chris and I are saying that this
branch already exists and is staging.  The real question is to know how
staging currently behaves: how many time between 2 merges?  how many
time to rebuild?  how many packages are rebuilt between 2 merges?  etc.
Is it enough?  If not, what could be done to improve?  etc.

1: <https://yhetil.org/guix/YFEDt%2FPUd2ZeC6%2FF@jasmine.lan/>

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates branch
@ 2021-03-27 14:14       ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-03-27 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, guix-devel

On Sat, 2021-03-27 at 14:56 +0100, zimoun wrote:
> Oh, I am a big boy and I can think whatever I want! :-)
>
> Kidding aside.

> First, what does it mean «risk»?  How do you evaluate it?  Is it a
> relative evaluation or an absolute one?

Most if not all users do not want their machines to be compromised or
any side-effects of that.

> Second, I am not arguing that security is not important.  I am saying
> that security is important, as important as everything else that is
> also
> important.  What does it mean «important»?  How do you evaluate
> it?  Is it a
> relative evaluation or an absolute one?

Having security-updates branch or any other mechanism to ship security
updates promptly does not mean that the rest is not important.

> Third, I am aligned with Leo’s words [1].  And probably with yours
> too. :-) To me, a better security is not implied by special
> treatments for security fixes but instead a better treatment for the
> updates in general.

Security updates *need* special treatment. We already specially treat
them with grafts because it's an absolute necessity. We already have
private disclosure mailing lists in GNU Guix because security updates
need special treatment.

> You are proposing a new branch and Chris and I are saying that this
> branch already exists and is staging.  The real question is to know
> how
> staging currently behaves: how many time between 2 merges?  how many
> time to rebuild?  how many packages are rebuilt between 2
> merges?  etc.
> Is it enough?  If not, what could be done to improve?  etc.

The question whether this is solved by a branch or by making pushing to
master directly big rebuilds more viable, that I do not know, but you
cannot put forward the arguments you've made, they do not work.

@ 2021-03-30 11:48         ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-03-30 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter, guix-devel

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 at 15:14, Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:

>                                                               but you
> cannot put forward the arguments you've made, they do not work.

Ahah, I am happy to know it.  I hope it is because a “miscommunication»
and not because you do not carefully read or because maybe you only see
through the tiny lens of known security vulnerabilities.  From my
opinion, your point of view to tackle the issue is wrong.  That’s said.

Best regards,
simon

* Re: Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates branch
@ 2021-03-31  0:01           ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-03-31  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, guix-devel

On Tue, 2021-03-30 at 13:48 +0200, zimoun wrote:
> Ahah, I am happy to know it.  I hope it is because a
> “miscommunication»
> and not because you do not carefully read or because maybe you only
> see
> through the tiny lens of known security vulnerabilities.  From my
> opinion, your point of view to tackle the issue is wrong.  That’s
> said.

I feel harassed by your comments because you obsessed on this zstd
issue and try to make it the cause of some other problems you saw
without any evidence.

I don't think I look through the "tiny lens of known security
vulnerabilities", every distro has prioritization for security updates,
I think it is the right thing to do, that's how I work with it and I
think it is right. If you don't agree then OK but I wont stop thinking
it's the right way to do things and that not prioritizing security
issues does not work.

@ 2021-03-31 21:29             ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-03-31 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: guix-devel, zimoun

Léo,

Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> skribis:

> I feel harassed by your comments because you obsessed on this zstd
> issue and try to make it the cause of some other problems you saw
> without any evidence.

It’s unacceptable to call someone “obsessed” just because you disagree
and calling Simon’s comments “harassment” is equally inappropriate.

We’re all passionate about the project, and each one of us looks at it
from a different angle.

You’re new to the project.  I think we’re all glad you joined; that has
already boosted security work and the POWER9 port.  But we also have
expectations: that you follow written rules (the code of conduct, the
“Commit Access” section of the manual), and the unwritten rule that, as
a newcomer, you would humbly listen to suggestions made by more
experienced contributors.

The unresolved issues Simon points out are not just technical problems;
they’re a hindrance to our cooperation and to our well-being as a group.
It’s completely okay to make mistakes, but it’s not okay to break the
community rules and to dismiss the opinion of others as unimportant.

Please adjust accordingly.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates branch
@ 2021-04-01 12:44               ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-04-01 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: zimoun, guix-devel

Hello Ludo,

On Wed, 2021-03-31 at 23:29 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> It’s unacceptable to call someone “obsessed” just because you
> disagree
> and calling Simon’s comments “harassment” is equally inappropriate.

I really do feel harassed by their comments, it's not just because I
disagree, it's that I feel they have been following me around in
several of my contributions repeating the same issues, I have heard
their criticism and I do disagree but I don't feel like bringing it up
over and over and over following me around is a great thing to do at
all!

I did not try to go and yell all around after for example 'guix pull'
was broken after some changes to substitutes handling that were pushed
for example. I just trust people to do the best. I know people want the
best for GNU Guix. I also want the best for GNU Guix. I am not trying
to somehow deliberately break GNU Guix.

> We’re all passionate about the project, and each one of us looks at
> it
> from a different angle.
>
> You’re new to the project.  I think we’re all glad you joined; that
> has
> already boosted security work and the POWER9 port.  But we also have
> expectations: that you follow written rules (the code of conduct, the
> “Commit Access” section of the manual), and the unwritten rule that,
> as
> a newcomer, you would humbly listen to suggestions made by more
> experienced contributors.

I try to listen, and I think I have listened to criticism from many
different people. I think we've reached a point where I could not
listen anymore from Zimoun because I felt we were going in circles.
There's different opinions from different places it seems, where some
people agree with my way of doing and some others do not, and I felt
like I had more approval from other people and that while Zimoun's
criticism has been heard I have not acted upon all of their criticism.
Is it possible to do that?

> The unresolved issues Simon points out are not just technical
> problems;
> they’re a hindrance to our cooperation and to our well-being as a
> group.
> It’s completely okay to make mistakes, but it’s not okay to break the
> community rules and to dismiss the opinion of others as unimportant.

I do not dismiss other's opinion as not important, I disagree, what do
you want me to do? We have different way of doing things, if I do them
I do them my way, if they do them they do it their way, what else can
we do here?

> Please adjust accordingly.

I don't feel like that's entirely fair but I always strive to self-
improve.

@ 2021-04-01 14:58                 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-04-01 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: guix-devel, zimoun

Hi Léo,

> Hello Ludo,
>
> On Wed, 2021-03-31 at 23:29 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> It’s unacceptable to call someone “obsessed” just because you
>> disagree
>> and calling Simon’s comments “harassment” is equally inappropriate.
>
> I really do feel harassed by their comments, it's not just because I
> disagree, it's that I feel they have been following me around in
> several of my contributions repeating the same issues, I have heard
> their criticism and I do disagree but I don't feel like bringing it up
> over and over and over following me around is a great thing to do at
> all!

I don’t doubt it feels this way for you, but I seriously doubt Simon
follows you around and responds to your emails to cause a stink.

Since a couple of months Simon has been doing invaluable work to tie up
loose ends in bug reports and mailing list discussions; thanks to this
tireless work many stalled projects have been able to move forward.
Applying the same strategy to finding consensus and establishing the
lack of consensus in fresh discussions is very valuable, in my opinion.

You started quite a few discussions with lots of recommendations and
some controversial points; I think it is obvious that this leads to a
discussion of these points, including the unavoidable discussion of
misunderstandings (which can be pretty frustrating for all involved).

For what it’s worth, I agree with the points made by Leo Famulari,
Ludovic, and Simon.  I don’t think we should have a security-updates
branch, because the role of that branch is effectively taken by staging.

>> We’re all passionate about the project, and each one of us looks at
>> it
>> from a different angle.
>>
>> You’re new to the project.  I think we’re all glad you joined; that
>> has
>> already boosted security work and the POWER9 port.  But we also have
>> expectations: that you follow written rules (the code of conduct, the
>> “Commit Access” section of the manual), and the unwritten rule that,
>> as
>> a newcomer, you would humbly listen to suggestions made by more
>> experienced contributors.
>
> I try to listen, and I think I have listened to criticism from many
> different people. I think we've reached a point where I could not
> listen anymore from Zimoun because I felt we were going in circles.

That’s fine.  We have no deadlines, so stepping back from what feels
like a heated discussion for a while and revisiting the points later
comes at very little cost.

Obviously, you don’t *have* to accept other people’s criticism.  But we
collectively aim to act in a collegial fashion, finding consensus before
forging ahead with changes to processes.  I have not been convinced by
your arguments and your appeals in this discussion.  I can’t speak for
others, but I would consider it very unwise to ignore the lack of
consensus and just start a new branch when that isn’t what the
collective of long-term contributors agrees to do.

If that’s not what you’re planning to do then my comments carry no
weight.  I do want to stress, though, that hurry is usually misplaced in
the decision-making process of this project.  There are only few
exceptions to this and none warrant precipitating a falling-out.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Security patching and the branching workflow: a new security-updates branch
@ 2021-04-01 15:10                   ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-04-01 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, zimoun, guix-devel

On Thu, 2021-04-01 at 16:58 +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi Léo,

[...]

> That’s fine.  We have no deadlines, so stepping back from what feels
> like a heated discussion for a while and revisiting the points later
> comes at very little cost.
>
> Obviously, you don’t *have* to accept other people’s criticism.  But
> we
> collectively aim to act in a collegial fashion, finding consensus
> before
> forging ahead with changes to processes.  I have not been convinced
> by
> your arguments and your appeals in this discussion.  I can’t speak
> for
> others, but I would consider it very unwise to ignore the lack of
> consensus and just start a new branch when that isn’t what the
> collective of long-term contributors agrees to do.
>
> If that’s not what you’re planning to do then my comments carry no
> weight.  I do want to stress, though, that hurry is usually misplaced
> in
> the decision-making process of this project.  There are only few
> exceptions to this and none warrant precipitating a falling-out.

I never planned to go on and create that security-updates branch, it is
clear that there's no consensus for that, also it would require other
tools we don't have. However what I disagree with Simon is that they
think security updates should not be prioritized, which I don't agree
with very strongly. They have repeated that many times in various ways
and it annoys me that these arguments come up again and again in
response to my messages or contributions even though Simon knows I
disagree. There's no other problem to me.

There's a thing about my personality and I am sorry to be that way,
it's that I am ready to question myself but at a point when the demand
to question becomes confrontational way rather than in a friendly way I
stop being able to. I feel like I have taken into account many
criticism and changed my workflow due to that. I am glad people help me
improve the contributions I make to GNU Guix.

This thread is a proposal, like all others were, and on some comments I
feel attacked personally for even mentionning things that are only
proposals to me (I don't even think they're good solutions in the
absolute sense, I just propose them).

@ 2021-04-01 15:42                   ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-04-01 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Ludovic Courtès, zimoun, guix-devel