unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file
@ 2022-06-22  3:59 jgart
  2022-06-22  9:14 ` Munyoki Kilyungi
                   ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: jgart @ 2022-06-22  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi Guixers,

Just wanted to report a bug with emacs-jedi:

This is all that is currently copied into gnu/store:

jedi-autoloads.el  jedi-autoloads.elc  jedi-core.el  jedi-core.elc  jedi-pkg.el  jedi.el  jedi.elc  test-jedi.el  test-jedi.elc  tryout-jedi.el  tryout-jedi.elc

But it's missing jediepcserver.py:

https://github.com/tkf/emacs-jedi/blob/master/Makefile#L132

You would then need to put this in your emacs config:

(setq jedi:server-command '("PATH/TO/jediepcserver.py"))

I'll try to work on it when I get a chance but feel free to fix it if you have the time.

all best,

jgart






^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file
  2022-06-22  3:59 emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file jgart
@ 2022-06-22  9:14 ` Munyoki Kilyungi
  2022-06-30  2:13   ` jgart
  2022-06-22 12:55 ` Luis Felipe
  2022-06-22 17:32 ` Maxim Cournoyer
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Munyoki Kilyungi @ 2022-06-22  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Guix Devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 990 bytes --]

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> Hi Guixers,
>
> Just wanted to report a bug with emacs-jedi:
>
> This is all that is currently copied into gnu/store:
>
> jedi-autoloads.el jedi-autoloads.elc jedi-core.el
> jedi-core.elc jedi-pkg.el jedi.el jedi.elc
> test-jedi.el test-jedi.elc tryout-jedi.el
> tryout-jedi.elc
>
> But it's missing jediepcserver.py:
>
> https://github.com/tkf/emacs-jedi/blob/master/Makefile#L132
>
> You would then need to put this in your emacs config:
>
> (setq jedi:server-command '("PATH/TO/jediepcserver.py"))
>
> I'll try to work on it when I get a chance but feel free to fix it if you have the time.
>

A bit of bike-shedding here, but do you have all
your Emacs configs in Guix?  And do you use Guix
Home?  Also, how does your python set-up look like
in Guix/Emacs?

-- 
Munyoki Kilyungi
D4F09EB110177E03C28E2FE1F5BBAE1E0392253F (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Free Software Activist
Humble GNU Emacs User | Bearer of scheme-y parens

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 865 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file
  2022-06-22  3:59 emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file jgart
  2022-06-22  9:14 ` Munyoki Kilyungi
@ 2022-06-22 12:55 ` Luis Felipe
  2022-06-24  4:03   ` Maxim Cournoyer
  2022-06-22 17:32 ` Maxim Cournoyer
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-06-22 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Guix Devel


[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 867 bytes --]

Hi jgart


On Wednesday, June 22nd, 2022 at 03:59, jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:

> Hi Guixers,
> 

> Just wanted to report a bug with emacs-jedi:
> 

> This is all that is currently copied into gnu/store:
> 

> jedi-autoloads.el jedi-autoloads.elc jedi-core.el jedi-core.elc jedi-pkg.el jedi.el jedi.elc test-jedi.el test-jedi.elc tryout-jedi.el tryout-jedi.elc
> 

> But it's missing jediepcserver.py:
> 

> https://github.com/tkf/emacs-jedi/blob/master/Makefile#L132
> 

> You would then need to put this in your emacs config:
> 

> (setq jedi:server-command '("PATH/TO/jediepcserver.py"))
> 

> I'll try to work on it when I get a chance but feel free to fix it if you have the time.
> 

> all best,

Oh, thanks, so this is why I lost Python completion after updgrading my profile... I'm too busy too to try to fix it though...

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-keys, Size: 1815 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: OpenPGP digital signature --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 509 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file
  2022-06-22  3:59 emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file jgart
  2022-06-22  9:14 ` Munyoki Kilyungi
  2022-06-22 12:55 ` Luis Felipe
@ 2022-06-22 17:32 ` Maxim Cournoyer
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-06-22 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> Hi Guixers,
>
> Just wanted to report a bug with emacs-jedi:
>
> This is all that is currently copied into gnu/store:
>
> jedi-autoloads.el jedi-autoloads.elc jedi-core.el jedi-core.elc
> jedi-pkg.el jedi.el jedi.elc test-jedi.el test-jedi.elc tryout-jedi.el
> tryout-jedi.elc
>
> But it's missing jediepcserver.py:
>
> https://github.com/tkf/emacs-jedi/blob/master/Makefile#L132
>
> You would then need to put this in your emacs config:
>
> (setq jedi:server-command '("PATH/TO/jediepcserver.py"))
>
> I'll try to work on it when I get a chance but feel free to fix it if you have the time.

Should be fixed with 299be00adb427441c0cb7d301bf918594f61400e.

Let me know in case I missed something.

Thanks!

Maxim


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file
  2022-06-22 12:55 ` Luis Felipe
@ 2022-06-24  4:03   ` Maxim Cournoyer
  2022-06-29 15:44     ` Luis Felipe
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-06-24  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: jgart, Guix Devel

Hi,

Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hi jgart
>
>
> On Wednesday, June 22nd, 2022 at 03:59, jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guixers,
>> 
>
>> Just wanted to report a bug with emacs-jedi:

[...]

>> I'll try to work on it when I get a chance but feel free to fix it if you have the time.
>> 
>
>> all best,
>
> Oh, thanks, so this is why I lost Python completion after updgrading
> my profile... I'm too busy too to try to fix it though...

It's already been fixed with 299be00adb427441c0cb7d301bf918594f61400e.

Thanks,

Maxim


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file
  2022-06-24  4:03   ` Maxim Cournoyer
@ 2022-06-29 15:44     ` Luis Felipe
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-06-29 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: jgart, Guix Devel


[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 893 bytes --]

Hi Maxime,


On Friday, June 24th, 2022 at 04:03, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> 

> Luis Felipe luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com writes:
> 

> > Hi jgart
> > 

> > On Wednesday, June 22nd, 2022 at 03:59, jgart jgart@dismail.de wrote:
> > 

> > > Hi Guixers,
> > 

> > > Just wanted to report a bug with emacs-jedi:
> 

> 

> [...]
> 

> > > I'll try to work on it when I get a chance but feel free to fix it if you have the time.
> > 

> > > all best,
> > 

> > Oh, thanks, so this is why I lost Python completion after updgrading
> > my profile... I'm too busy too to try to fix it though...
> 

> 

> It's already been fixed with 299be00adb427441c0cb7d301bf918594f61400e.

I haven't been able to try it out yet because of time and lack of substitutes to upgrade my whole profile, but thank you very much for fixing it :)

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-keys, Size: 1815 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: OpenPGP digital signature --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 509 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file
  2022-06-22  9:14 ` Munyoki Kilyungi
@ 2022-06-30  2:13   ` jgart
  2022-06-30 11:42     ` Munyoki Kilyungi
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: jgart @ 2022-06-30  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Munyoki Kilyungi; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:14:10 +0300 Munyoki Kilyungi <me@bonfacemunyoki.com> wrote:
> but do you have all your Emacs configs in Guix?  

I get my emacs plugin dependencies with guix but I write my config in elisp:

https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/jgart-dots/tree/master/item/dot_emacs

Not sure how I feel yet about quoting elisp code in guile code. On first
thought it seems like a nice party trick but not as nice to work with
in the day to day when you just need to get the elisp code to work and
to extend emacs. If I could write guile directly to confgure emacs that
would be simpler, I think. Also, one less level of abstracting if you
need to debug the elisp code quoted in your guile code but maybe there
is a way around that?...

The above emacs config is bound to change. It's just what I'm using on this
particular thinkpad that I'm writing this email from at the moment. Mind
the funny spacing of the code. That said, I'm hoping to keep my .emacs
to a minimum number of lines for now. Just exploring that for now and
really milking `execute-extended-command` for all it's worth, which I
have bound to space d, btw.

Emacs packages to note in the above config:

https://codeberg.org/akib/emacs-corfu-terminal
https://codeberg.org/akib/emacs-corfu-doc-terminal

```
$ guix install emacs-corfu-terminal emacs-corfu-doc-terminal
```

I'm mostly using emacs-no-x (terminal only).

I'm not using guix-home yet. It fails to build my config on void linux
with some arcane error I haven't had the time to properly debug yet/get
help with ;)

> Also, how does your python set-up look like in Guix/Emacs?

I mostly have been using eglot without any configuration. I just run
M-x eglot and use it with python-lsp-server or jedi-language-server.

I haven't explored the emacs-jedi package much that I sent an update for in
this thread ;) It's on my TODO list.

If you want to read my favourite guix-home managed config out in the wild
that I've found, I highly recommend unmatched-parens' config:

https://git.sr.ht/~unmatched-paren/conf

I appreciate the minimalism and simplicity of the way paren has set up
their dots with guix-home. It's very clear how to copy it and take it
for your own purposes.

happy hacking,

jgart

https://whereis.みんな/


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file
  2022-06-30  2:13   ` jgart
@ 2022-06-30 11:42     ` Munyoki Kilyungi
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Munyoki Kilyungi @ 2022-06-30 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Guix Devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3110 bytes --]

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:14:10 +0300 Munyoki Kilyungi <me@bonfacemunyoki.com> wrote:
>> but do you have all your Emacs configs in Guix?  
>
> I get my emacs plugin dependencies with guix but I write my config in elisp:
>
> https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/jgart-dots/tree/master/item/dot_emacs
>

Thanks for this!

> Not sure how I feel yet about quoting elisp code in guile code. On first
> thought it seems like a nice party trick but not as nice to work with
> in the day to day when you just need to get the elisp code to work and
> to extend emacs. If I could write guile directly to confgure emacs that
> would be simpler, I think. Also, one less level of abstracting if you
> need to debug the elisp code quoted in your guile code but maybe there
> is a way around that?...
>
> The above emacs config is bound to change. It's just what I'm using on this
> particular thinkpad that I'm writing this email from at the moment. Mind
> the funny spacing of the code. That said, I'm hoping to keep my .emacs
> to a minimum number of lines for now. Just exploring that for now and
> really milking `execute-extended-command` for all it's worth, which I
> have bound to space d, btw.
>
> Emacs packages to note in the above config:
>
> https://codeberg.org/akib/emacs-corfu-terminal
> https://codeberg.org/akib/emacs-corfu-doc-terminal
>
> ```
> $ guix install emacs-corfu-terminal emacs-corfu-doc-terminal
> ```
>
> I'm mostly using emacs-no-x (terminal only).
>
> I'm not using guix-home yet. It fails to build my config on void linux
> with some arcane error I haven't had the time to properly debug yet/get
> help with ;)
>

Hmmm... I think this is something I'll eventually
do, i.e move to guix-home for all my dot files.
It has a nice premise of immutability; and I
reckon I could safely migrate away from
"use-package."

>> Also, how does your python set-up look like in Guix/Emacs?
>
> I mostly have been using eglot without any configuration. I just run
> M-x eglot and use it with python-lsp-server or jedi-language-server.
>

Is there a way to configure it to use a specific
guix-python-path?  A possible use-case for me
would be to have different python-paths for
different projects that use different
guix-profiles.  I don't want to pollute my global
space with python packages ;)

> I haven't explored the emacs-jedi package much that I sent an update for in
> this thread ;) It's on my TODO list.
>

:)

> If you want to read my favourite guix-home managed config out in the wild
> that I've found, I highly recommend unmatched-parens' config:
>
> https://git.sr.ht/~unmatched-paren/conf
>

Thanks!  I'll have a look at this later.

> I appreciate the minimalism and simplicity of the way paren has set up
> their dots with guix-home. It's very clear how to copy it and take it
> for your own purposes.
>

\m/\m/

-- 
Munyoki Kilyungi
D4F09EB110177E03C28E2FE1F5BBAE1E0392253F (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Free Software Activist
Humble GNU Emacs User | Bearer of scheme-y parens

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]
[-- Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 865 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2022-06-30 11:58 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 8+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2022-06-22  3:59 emacs-jedi package bug missing crucial python server file jgart
2022-06-22  9:14 ` Munyoki Kilyungi
2022-06-30  2:13   ` jgart
2022-06-30 11:42     ` Munyoki Kilyungi
2022-06-22 12:55 ` Luis Felipe
2022-06-24  4:03   ` Maxim Cournoyer
2022-06-29 15:44     ` Luis Felipe
2022-06-22 17:32 ` Maxim Cournoyer

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).