Ricardo Wurmus skribis: > Ludovic Courtès writes: > >> + >> +It is a good idea to strip commit identifiers to, say, 7 digits so that >> +they do not become aesthetically disturbing (assuming aesthetics have a >> +role to play here.) It is best to use the full commit identifiers in >> +@code{origin}s, though, to avoid ambiguities. >> + > > I would probably find this a little confusing if I didn’t already know > what you meant. Where should commit identifiers be stripped? Are there > more places than just the ‘version’ field? Could we name the ‘version’ > field as an example? > > Is it only aesthetics or also a matter of keeping shebangs shorter (in > case the output provides an interpreter that could end up in a shebang > line). The version is usually part of the output name, so maybe it > would make sense to mention the ‘version’ field explicitly. You’re right on both points. How about this variant?