From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
To: Jan Wielkiewicz <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Installer script on Fedora doesn't work properly
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 14:07:44 +0200

Hi Jan,

> I ran the script as root, it installed everything properly, but running
> "guix pull" ends up with an error message: "guix pull: failed to connect
> to `/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': No such file or directory".

This means the daemon isn’t running.

If you use SELinux in enforcing mode then the daemon is probably
prevented from starting.

> I think the installer script should *just work at all times* - this is
> crucial to make Guix popular on other distros.

Sure.  We have a draft SELinux policy for systems like yours, but it is
probably no longer current as Fedora’s SELinux policy is not frozen in
time.  I encourage you to try it and help debug it to adjust it for
current versions of Fedora.

> My suggestion: if it's not already done, consider adding automated
> tests, checking whether the installer script works on major
> distributions (on a VM) and if Guix works there. This should be checked
> every release.

These recommendations wouldn’t help in your case.  We can’t feasibly
maintain a farm of different distros (some with SELinux and some
without) where we install Guix all the time.

--
Ricardo

  parent reply index