unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* FOSDEM + Guix Day: hurrah!
@ 2021-02-11 10:07 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-02-11 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel; +Cc: Manolis Ragkousis, Pjotr Prins

Hello Guix!

With all the excitement and activity these days, I almost forgot to say
it: *big thanks* to Pjotr and Manolis for organizing the FOSDEM
“Declarative and Minimalistic Computing” devroom, with a great program!
It was a delightful day for me, so thanks also to the speakers and to
those who hosted the sessions.

Thanks again to everyone who participated in the Guix Day!  It’s always
pleasant to be able to discuss things live, especially these days.

Cheers,
Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM + Guix Day: hurrah!
@ 2021-02-11 10:10 ` Manolis Ragkousis
From: Manolis Ragkousis @ 2021-02-11 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo, guix-devel; +Cc: pjotr2021

Can't wait for next year, hopefully in Brussels :D

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

On Feb 11, 2021, 12:07, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Hello Guix!
>
> With all the excitement and activity these days, I almost forgot to say
> it: *big thanks* to Pjotr and Manolis for organizing the FOSDEM
> “Declarative and Minimalistic Computing” devroom, with a great program!
> It was a delightful day for me, so thanks also to the speakers and to
> those who hosted the sessions.
>
> Thanks again to everyone who participated in the Guix Day! It’s always
> pleasant to be able to discuss things live, especially these days.
>
> Cheers,
> Ludo’.

* Re: FOSDEM + Guix Day: hurrah!
@ 2021-02-11 11:14 ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-11 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Guix Devel; +Cc: Manolis Ragkousis, Pjotr Prins

On Thu, 2021-02-11 at 11:07 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> With all the excitement and activity these days, I almost forgot to
> say
> it: *big thanks* to Pjotr and Manolis for organizing the FOSDEM
> “Declarative and Minimalistic Computing” devroom, with a great
> program!
> It was a delightful day for me, so thanks also to the speakers and to
> those who hosted the sessions.
>
> Thanks again to everyone who participated in the Guix Day!  It’s
> always
> pleasant to be able to discuss things live, especially these days.
>
> Cheers,
> Ludo’.

It was very exciting and I wish we could do more of those online
meetings on a more regular basis. It's key to motivation for me.

Too bad nothing was recorded with Big Blue Button (it has a recording
feature). I missed the session on guile-netlink and I don't know what
others. I would've been very interested to find out.

I would be happier contributing to GNU Guix if I felt a bit more
connected with the humans behind the contributors!

Many thanks for the events!

* Re: FOSDEM + Guix Day: hurrah!
@ 2021-02-11 17:37   ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2021-02-11 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: Guix Devel, Manolis Ragkousis

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 12:14:34PM +0100, Léo Le Bouter wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-02-11 at 11:07 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > Hello Guix!
> >
> > With all the excitement and activity these days, I almost forgot to
> > say
> > it: *big thanks* to Pjotr and Manolis for organizing the FOSDEM
> > “Declarative and Minimalistic Computing” devroom, with a great
> > program!
> > It was a delightful day for me, so thanks also to the speakers and to
> > those who hosted the sessions.

Agree. I think the Guix days are extremely useful. Maybe we should
have a Guix day every 6 months. Online during the pandemic and maybe
hybrid online/in person after?

To keep riding the wave I was thinking we could organise a GNU Hurd
day in 3 months. That an idea? I have been toying with GNU Hurd in a
VM and I think it is nice. GNU Hurd may not be the greatest performer,
but it is small and much easier to secure than Linux, so it could be
of interest for IoT and mobile. I know Chris Webber mentioned seL4
which may or may not be an alternative. These microkernels are an
interesting space for free software and the timing may be just right.

Pj.

* Re: FOSDEM + Guix Day: hurrah!
@ 2021-02-11 20:42     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-02-11 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: guix-devel, Manolis Ragkousis

Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> writes:

> To keep riding the wave I was thinking we could organise a GNU Hurd
> day in 3 months. That an idea? I have been toying with GNU Hurd in a
> VM and I think it is nice.

It would be nice to have a little hack day to learn ways to hack on the
Hurd within the VM, to upgrade packages to the latest patched versions
(it’s never really clear to me what the canonical source is), and to
hack on open issues.

--
Ricardo

* Re: FOSDEM + Guix Day: hurrah!
@ 2021-02-12  3:07   ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2021-02-12  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: Guix Devel, Manolis Ragkousis, Pjotr Prins

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 12:14:34 +0100
Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2021-02-11 at 11:07 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > Hello Guix!
> >
> > With all the excitement and activity these days, I almost forgot to
> > say
> > it: *big thanks* to Pjotr and Manolis for organizing the FOSDEM
> > “Declarative and Minimalistic Computing” devroom, with a great
> > program!
> > It was a delightful day for me, so thanks also to the speakers and
> > to those who hosted the sessions.
> >
> > Thanks again to everyone who participated in the Guix Day!  It’s
> > always
> > pleasant to be able to discuss things live, especially these days.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ludo’.
> >

> It was very exciting and I wish we could do more of those online
> meetings on a more regular basis. It's key to motivation for me.
>
> Too bad nothing was recorded with Big Blue Button (it has a recording
> feature).

Wait what???
I was under the impression that talks would be recorded. So they...
weren't??? At all??? Am I waiting for an upload in vain?

* Re: FOSDEM + Guix Day: hurrah!
@ 2021-02-12 22:28       ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-02-12 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Pjotr Prins, guix-devel, Manolis Ragkousis

> Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> writes:
>
>> To keep riding the wave I was thinking we could organise a GNU Hurd
>> day in 3 months. That an idea? I have been toying with GNU Hurd in a
>> VM and I think it is nice.
>
> It would be nice to have a little hack day to learn ways to hack on the
> Hurd within the VM, to upgrade packages to the latest patched versions
> (it’s never really clear to me what the canonical source is), and to
> hack on open issues.

For those that are unaware, there is a Hurd-like operating system in
development by one of the Hurd developers:  X15.

https://www.sceen.net/x15/

Currently it has not started the userspace system yet.  Just food for
thought.

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: FOSDEM + Guix Day: hurrah!
@ 2021-02-13 15:45     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2021-02-13 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: Guix Devel, Manolis Ragkousis

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 04:07:24AM +0100, raingloom wrote:
> Wait what???
> I was under the impression that talks would be recorded. So they...
> weren't??? At all??? Am I waiting for an upload in vain?

The FOSDEM talks were recorded.

The Guix day we made more informal. I am sorry, we did not record as
with the normal in-person days.

Pj.