unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>
To: Leo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Leaving the GNU Guix community
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 04:34:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Léo,

Leo Le Bouter 写道:
> I feel like what has happened is really a disaster,

I'm relieved that we share, at least, this.  I think everyone
does.

> I don't feel like contributing to GNU Guix anymore in the
> future.

That's a great pity.  I hope to welcome you back some day.  Guix
is better off with your fixes.

Yet I'm convinced that the decision to suspend commit access was
the right one.  It wasn't easy.  Nobody was happy about it.

I also hope that you can accept your role in the events that lead
to it and learn from them and make adjustments.

I'm disappointed that you still deflect the brunt of the
responsibility to others and refuse to acknowledge that this,
itself, is a problem.  Saving face consistently took precedence
over accepting feedback.  That's a dangerous blind spot to have.

> I think that the GNU
> Guix maintainers justify unacceptable behavior and have acted
> upon
> things without understanding them, not understanding why
> incidents have
> happened

We have a much better understanding of the *complete* situation
than you imply.  It's far too common and too convenient to claim
that people you don't agree with are (at best) uninformed.

We've certainly made mistakes over the years.  Being buggy humans
we'll be sure to make more.

Several contributors expressed (in at least one case: severe)
unease with your attitude long before Mark sent his own unpleasant
message, and I think we did too little and waited too long to
publicly address either in a coordinated manner.  Lesson
hard-learnt.

> that many people have spread misinformation that other believed
> also.

I refuse to credit this vague insinuation.  My mind was made up by
nothing but your own posts to this list and your blunt refusal to
answer questions.

Kind regards,

T G-R

PS: I wanted to keep this short, but thank you for sharing your
thoughts or Free software development.  I read them with interest.