Ludovic Courtès writes: > Hi, > > (Sorry for the late reply…) > > Andrew Tropin skribis: > >> Ludovic Courtès writes: > > [...] > >>>>> Possible action: >>>>> >>>>> 1. Change config records to accept file-like objects instead of >>>>> strings. That way, users can choose to have snippets inlined (in a >>>>> ‘plain-file’ object) or separate (via ‘local-file’). See for >>>>> example how ‘tor-configuration->torrc’ does it. >>>> >>>> Yeah, there is a ‘slurp-file-gexp’ procedure that let’s one read an >>>> extenal file, but using existing APIs like ‘local-file’ is probably a >>>> better idea. >>> >>> Yes, it feels more natural. Also, ‘slurp-file-gexp’ returns a gexp (a >>> code snippet), but as a user you don’t know where that snippet is going >>> to be inserted; it may not work in some contexts. >> >> Acually, the idea behind `slurp-file-gexp` is that you always know where >> it will be inserted, because it will be inside the specific section of >> the configuration. Take a look at emacs home-service example: >> https://git.sr.ht/~abcdw/rde/tree/master/item/gnu/home-services/emacs.scm#L91 > > What I mean is that, in a general sense, one cannot know whether the > gexp will be inserted in a place where it’s “valid”. Consider the > following examples, where the gexp is meant to be inserted in lieu of > “PLACEHOLDER”: > > #~(list '(#$PLACEHOLDER)) ;it’s quoted > > #~(let ((call-with-input-file (const #f))) > #$PLACEHOLDER) > > These are “hygiene” problems discussed in the “Code Staging in GNU Guix” > paper. > > All this to say that, from an API viewpoint, I think it’s (1) more > robust, as I wrote, and (2) clearer to expect file-like objects in such > places. It’s clearer because users can be expected to have an > understanding of what ‘local-file’ does, whereas ‘slurp-file-gexp’ is > more involved. > > I hope this clarifies what I had in mind! > > Ludo’. Got the problem. Will take a closer look, when will be preparing this code for upstreaming and maybe will reconsider the approach or will rise another discussion on that. Also, need to schedule a reading of your paper on gexps) Thank you for clarification!)