Here are some notes I took during the discussion on patch review/quality assurance at the 10 Years of Guix event. Discussion: - Find out how others review patches - Julian - Subscribe to guix-patches - Look at subjects - If not OCaml/Java/Maven, ignore email - If obvious issues can be seen, reply suggesting improvements - Run guix lint/build dependents - There are language/area specific things that are good to know about when reviewing patches - How the process works - How we can improve quality of Guix, avoid breakages - How we can simplify the workflow for reviewers - Minimise the burden for submitters - Lengthy guidance for submitting patches - Changelog format - Sending patches by email (git send-email) - guix lint archive error - Delay in feedback for first time submitters - Problems - Already broken packages when applying updates - How to help? - Motivation to do more - Debian: How can I help tool? - Learn how to review more patches - Doing useful things with little time Actions: - teams thing for finding out about patches, automate this somehow - generate a web page listing the people and teams - Filtered subscription to patches by team - Improve the qa.guix.gnu.org site - look at moving Mumi, QA Frontpage, ... on to Savannah - List infrastructure projects on a web page - More detailed guidance on the review process - Guidance for reviewers, e.g. don't ask for patch submitters to fix other problems - Split the guidance for submitting patches in to sections (bronze, silver, gold) - Give specific guidance for different tasks, so don't run lint if you're upgrading a package - Have some "trusted reviewer" status - Arrange focused time per month/week when people try to review patches - How should reviewers get patches merged when they don't have commit access? - Maybe script making contributions like updating packages - Make a similar tool to Debian's how can I help - Try to avoid suggesting updating packages with lots of dependencies - work out what is getting in the way of patches getting to the mailing list/debbugs - Put a warning about delays