Hi Chris, Thank you for taking the time to clarify the motivation! It helped a lot. Christopher Allan Webber writes: > The command you *want* to run is something like: > > `foo-db dumpdb --config=/path/to/foodb.cfg' > > Now... your GuixSD system has, somewhere buried in it, a config file > that it passes in when shepherd starts/stops the daemon. It's somewhere > in /gnu/store/ ... but you don't know where it is! This is the information I was missing. If your service/daemon/tool requires that information to be supplied on the command line, then I can see why it would be convenient to model the task as a Shepherd action. I think that would be useful. -- Chris