unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net>
To: "Björn Höfling" <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Hackathon: Mumi and Cuirass
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 23:10:19 +0100	[thread overview]

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> writes:

>> 2) Cuirass
>
> On Guix days, we discussed the idea of using Postgresql as a backend.
> Could that also be a task for hacking?
>
> Chris, have you worked on that? I think I saw you adding some
> guile-postgres bindings as a Guix-package.

I've been using PostgreSQL from Guile for the Guix Data Service [1]
stuff, guile-dbd-postgresql didn't work out, I can't remember exactly
why, but I think it could have had something to do with error
handling/reporting. Anyway, guile-squee seems to do the trick.

1: https://git.cbaines.net/guix/data-service/

I'm interested in doing some Cuirass stuff, but I'm still a little
uncertain about how you might go about that. I think there's probably
some easier related tasks though.

One thing that I saw related to Sqlite is that the rowid's that Cuirass
does use behave differently if there's an INTEGER PRIMARY KEY column in
the table [2]. This is important I think, because without this,
operations like VACUUM can change the rowid's [3]. I think Cuirass uses
rowid's as the identitifers for builds for example, but not in this
way.

2: https://www.sqlite.org/draft/lang_createtable.html#rowid
3: https://www.sqlite.org/draft/lang_vacuum.html