From: Carlo Zancanaro <carlo@zancanaro.id.au>
To: Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Help with packaging: Dendrite (Matrix), Gitea, Caddy
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 08:00:33 +1100

Hi Timothy,

On Thu, Jan 14 2021, Timothy wrote:
> For the past ~month I've been trying to package Dendrite (a
> second generation reference Matrix server implementation, set to
> succeed Synapse when feature parity is reached), Gitea, and
> Caddy.

I took a look at dendrite, and it looks like it needs some
dependencies. In the build output I saw a bunch of:

src/github.com/matrix-org/dendrite/internal/consumers.go:21:2:
cannot find package "github.com/Shopify/sarama" in any of:
	/gnu/store/cb9kqjg7m6xk1wz7ap8as792fd5kcmd2-go-1.14.10/src/github.com/Shopify/sarama
	(from $GOROOT)
	/tmp/guix-build-dendrite-0.3.1.drv-0/src/github.com/Shopify/sarama
	(from $GOPATH)
src/github.com/matrix-org/dendrite/appservice/appservice.go:23:2:
cannot find package "github.com/gorilla/mux" in any of:
	/gnu/store/cb9kqjg7m6xk1wz7ap8as792fd5kcmd2-go-1.14.10/src/github.com/gorilla/mux
	(from $GOROOT)
	/tmp/guix-build-dendrite-0.3.1.drv-0/src/github.com/gorilla/mux
	(from $GOPATH)

From what I can see of the other Go packages in Guix, each of the
dependencies needs to be added to the propagated-inputs of the
dendrite package to make it build.

I don't think we have all of these dependencies packaged in Guix
at the moment, so you will have to write some package definitions
for these dependencies before you can package dendrite. I'm not
up-to-date on the state of Go in Guix, but I think there are some
patches for a Go importer floating around on the mailing list, if
you wanted to try automatically importing package definitions.

I hope that helps,

Carlo