ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes: > My understanding was that users (really: Python developers) would expect > to get a ‘python3’ binary when they install the latest, and a ‘python’ > binary otherwise. It depends. I've grown used to having python(->python3) and python2 binaries in Parabola/Arch, where it is the policy to always have the latest version as the default. > Then that means we don’t really have to worry, and just document that > the python-3.x package is an unmodified upstream package, with its > binary is called ‘python3’. I think that is a fine way to do it. The most important part is internal consistency. It seems that the "unmodified upstream" strategy is the path of least resistance, and it will fit with the expectations of all of the Debian-based users out there. As for the shebangs, you may well still have to do some patching for some packages, if they were written in python3 but the shebang is for /usr/bin/python. -brandon -- Brandon Invergo http://brandon.invergo.net