unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* service: make hidden-service an alias of onion service
@ 2016-03-31 18:39 Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-03-31 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

It seems that recently the torproject started using the more
appropriate term "onion service"[1] for what is known as "hidden
service".

I want to reflect this in the service for tor by making
onion-service the used definition/name and hidden-service an
alias for that to not break a percentage of systems which might
already be using this.

I need to further read into services, but I want to handle this
to learn more about services. As I can't CC email accounts via
newsreader interface, would this proposed backwards compability
be okay for you ludovic?

efraim and alirio in the chat also pointed out that we possibly
might want to mark hidden-service as deprecated if possible.

--
ng
personal contact: http://krosos.sdf.org

* Re: service: make hidden-service an alias of onion service
@ 2016-03-31 21:29 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-03-31 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> skribis:

> It seems that recently the torproject started using the more
> appropriate term "onion service"[1] for what is known as "hidden
> service".

You’re missing the footnote.  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: service: make hidden-service an alias of onion service
@ 2016-03-31 22:21   ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-03-31 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> skribis:
>
>> It seems that recently the torproject started using the more
>> appropriate term "onion service"[1] for what is known as "hidden
>> service".
>
> You’re missing the footnote.  :-)
>
> Ludo’.

Right :D

Well anyway, starting this anchor there should be more context
and links:

https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2016-03-31#T984352

--

@ 2016-04-01  8:47     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-04-01  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Gillmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> skribis:
>>
>>> It seems that recently the torproject started using the more
>>> appropriate term "onion service"[1] for what is known as "hidden
>>> service".
>>
>> You’re missing the footnote.  :-)
>>
>> Ludo’.
>
> Right :D
>
> Well anyway, starting this anchor there should be more context
> and links:
>
> https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2016-03-31#T984352

At <https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/onion-services>, I see
that “Tor developers use the terms "hidden services" and "onion
services" interchangeably.”  No evidence that there’s a incentive to use
“onion services”, or did I miss it?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: service: make hidden-service an alias of onion service
@ 2016-04-02 13:03 shakmar
From: shakmar @ 2016-04-02 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ludo; +Cc: guix-devel

> At <https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/onion-services>, I see
> that “Tor developers use the terms "hidden services" and "onion
> services" interchangeably.”  No evidence that there’s a incentive to
> use “onion services”, or did I miss it?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Looking at the ‘hidden-services’ tag as well:

https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/hidden-services

led me to this blog post:

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/hidden-service-hackfest-arlington-accords

which states:

| We talked about rebranding the "Hidden Services" project to "Onion
| Services" to reduce "hidden"/"dark"/"evil" name connotations, and
| improve terminology. In fact, [we've been on this for a while][1], but
| we are still not sure what the right name is. What do you think?

[1]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-February/008256.html

I don’t know what the current consensus is though.  I guess variables
with both names should be provided.

* Re: service: make hidden-service an alias of onion service
@ 2016-04-02 15:35       ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2016-04-02 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

shakmar@openmailbox.org writes:

>> At <https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/onion-services>, I see
>> that “Tor developers use the terms "hidden services" and "onion
>> services" interchangeably.”  No evidence that there’s a incentive to
>> use “onion services”, or did I miss it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ludo’.
>
> Looking at the ‘hidden-services’ tag as well:
>
> https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/hidden-services
>
> led me to this blog post:
>
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/hidden-service-hackfest-arlington-accords
>
> which states:
>
> | We talked about rebranding the "Hidden Services" project to "Onion
> | Services" to reduce "hidden"/"dark"/"evil" name connotations, and
> | improve terminology. In fact, [we've been on this for a while][1], but
> | we are still not sure what the right name is. What do you think?
>
> [1]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-February/008256.html
>
> I don’t know what the current consensus is though.  I guess variables
> with both names should be provided.

I have another request question lined up for the tor-talk list, I
will ask if there's an official consensus. If there's none I
say we delay it until the point in time when it changes.

sidenote:
Hooray, gmane fails to filter some messages correctly. Maybe I
just switch away from it again.