unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
To: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: texmaker, Qt and Chromium
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2016 21:17:30 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Guix,

our build of the “texmaker” package is broken ever since we disabled the
webkit module of our Qt package.  I’m currently looking into packaging
up the needed Qt modules, but the obvious question remains: do we want
this?  “qtwebengine” not only bundles chromium, chromium itself also
bundles a whole bunch of other stuff.

Personally, I think it’s acceptable to package “qtwebengine” because
ultimately it’s up to the Qt and Chromium developers to keep their
software secure — and it’s up to the developers of software like
Texmaker to choose their dependencies wisely.  As long as we keep
Chromium out of our default “qt” package, thereby preventing it from
being installed for every Qt application, I think we’re good.

What do you think?  The alternative is to drop Texmaker and all the
other packages that depend on Chromium as distributed by Qt.

~~ Ricardo