Roel Janssen writes: > Roel Janssen writes: > >> Mark H Weaver writes: >> >>> Hello Guix, >>> >>> Below I've attached a draft patch to update vlc to 3.0.1, and also to >>> add several more inputs based on reading the output of the 'configure' >>> script. >>> >>> It builds successfully and mostly works except for one problem: the >>> icons are missing from the control buttons on the main window of the Qt >>> interface. The icons in question are .svg files in the source tarball, >>> but are converted into data structures within C++ source code using >>> 'rcc'. >>> >>> strace reveals that vlc is performing 'stat' system calls on bogus file >>> names beginning with ":/", e.g. ":/toolbar/play_b.svg". These >>> correspond to the missing icons. According to >>> , these names that >>> begin with ":/" are meant to be references to resources that were >>> imported using 'rcc'. >>> >>> I can't afford to spend more time on this right now. I don't use vlc >>> myself, but for security reasons I think it's important to keep our >>> media players up-to-date, especially media players like vlc that bundle >>> their own codecs. I expect that vlc is quite popular, which makes it >>> all the more important. >>> >>> I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge of Qt will step up to debug >>> this problem. Any volunteers? >>> >>> Note, this patch is based on core-updates, but hopefully it would work >>> on 'master' too. >> >> Thanks a lot for working on this! I applied your patch to ‘master’ and >> built VLC. It is missing the icons. >> >> Then I manually built it inside a ‘guix environment vlc’. >> Launching it shows the icons. Leaving the environment and running the >> same executable misses the icons. >> >> Could it be that we need to propagate an input? >> I'll try to dissect it further. > > After setting QT_PLUGIN_PATH outside of the environment, the icons > appear in the Guix-compiled vlc-3.0.1. I think the files in > QT_PLUGIN_PATH do not originate from VLC, but instead from Qt and > QtSvg. > > Should we wrap the executable so that QT_PLUGIN_PATH is defined? The attached patch adds such a wrap phase, with which running ‘vlc’ the icons work again. Kind regards, Roel Janssen