Ludovic Courtès writes: >>> Also, is the new librsvg API-compatible with the old one? IIUC it still >>> provides a C API, right? Does guile-rsvg still work, for example? >> >> I have not noticed any regressions since the switch. The guile-rsvg >> tests pass, at least! > > One test would be to do ‘guix system vm-image --full-boot’ or something, > to generate the derivation that builds the GRUB background image, which > uses Guile-RSVG. OK, good to know. The background image is fine (I'm using this branch on real hardware). >>> What do other distros do? Debian kept ‘librsvg-c’ around, primarily so >>> that architectures where Rust isn’t supported yet could still work: >>> . >> >> I wanted to ask about this: is Rust supported on all the platforms we >> support at the moment? > > According to Efraim and Danny, we have a problem at the moment. > Presumably that can be worked around? Right, Rust currently only works on x86_64. In order to get this branch started, let us either: * Revert back to 2.40.20, or * Conditionally use the new version on supported platforms For the latter, I imagine something along the lines of... (define-public librsvg (if (string-prefix? "x86_64" (or (%current-target-system) (%current-system))) librsvg-2.44 librsvg-2.40)) Preferences? >> While depending on Rust for GTK/GNOME is unfortunate, I do think it's >> inevitable. > > Yeah. > >> By the way, the next version of librsvg will require Rust 1.33 or >> thereabouts. > > Oh so we’re lagging already? I was referring to the 2.46 series, but indeed 2.44.13 also fails with Rust 1.27 (we're at 2.44.12).