Jonathan Brielmaier writes: > Hi folks, > > as the next release is approaching fast, I thought it would be nice to > have MATE 1.24 in. Compared to other desktop environments (hi GNOME) > updating is straight forward. > > I tested MATE 1.24 in a VM. There are two problems: > * MATE suffers from https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/38135, so you > can't start any applications from the menu. This is a MAJOR usability > bug. The fix for it is in core-updates. There is an easy workaround for this problem though: installing glib:bin. We could propagate it for now, or simply add it to %base-packages. > * atril requires a newer glib/gio (also in core-updates). Is it just Atril that needs the newer GLib? We could give Atril its own version of GLib without having to update the "main" one. > I have two branches: > https://gitlab.com/jonsger/Guix/-/tree/wip-mate-1.24 based on master > https://gitlab.com/jonsger/Guix/-/tree/wip-mate-1.24-co based on > core-updates Great! Would you like to apply for a Savannah account so users don't have to pull from a third party to test it? I'm happy to vouch for you. Thanks, Marius