unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Packaging pd
@ 2020-09-03 11:09 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-09-03 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I knew that three letter software names are bad, but there is worse -
two letter software names! I would like to package
  pd - Primal-Dual Methods for Vertex and Facet Enumeration
  http://www.cs.unb.ca/~bremner/software/pd/

Now there already is a "pd" in Guix; are there any precedents on how to
name a second pd? "pd-polytope"? "primal-dual"? "pd-primal-dual"?

Then is there a point in packaging it at all? This is more or less a
one-shot research software, I think, with no versioning. So maybe not
relevant enough? (Let us have this Wikipedia discussion!) In that case,
I would like to add it to the guix-past channel, since I need it for
the 10 years reproducibility challenge, so the naming question still
stands. By the way, how are naming conflicts between channels resolved?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Andreas

* Re: Packaging pd
@ 2020-09-07  9:51 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-09-07  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> skribis:

> I knew that three letter software names are bad, but there is worse -
> two letter software names! I would like to package
>   pd - Primal-Dual Methods for Vertex and Facet Enumeration
>   http://www.cs.unb.ca/~bremner/software/pd/
>
> Now there already is a "pd" in Guix; are there any precedents on how to
> name a second pd? "pd-polytope"? "primal-dual"? "pd-primal-dual"?

I’d say “primal-dual” and mention “pd” in the description.

> Then is there a point in packaging it at all? This is more or less a
> one-shot research software, I think, with no versioning. So maybe not
> relevant enough? (Let us have this Wikipedia discussion!) In that case,
> I would like to add it to the guix-past channel, since I need it for
> the 10 years reproducibility challenge, so the naming question still
> stands.

Your call!  If you think Guix-Past is a better fit, go for it!

> By the way, how are naming conflicts between channels resolved?

The same as when you type, say, “guix build guile@2”: a warning is
printed.

Ludo’.

* Re: Packaging pd
@ 2020-09-07 10:22 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-09-07 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> I knew that three letter software names are bad, but there is worse -
> two letter software names! I would like to package
>   pd - Primal-Dual Methods for Vertex and Facet Enumeration
>   http://www.cs.unb.ca/~bremner/software/pd/
>
> Now there already is a "pd" in Guix; are there any precedents on how to
> name a second pd? "pd-polytope"? "primal-dual"? "pd-primal-dual"?

“pd” in Guix is “Pure Data”, the visual data flow language that’s often
used for music.  It is an option to rename it to “pure-data”.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Packaging pd
@ 2020-09-17 13:13   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-09-17 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Thanks for your replies, Ludovic and Ricardo!

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 12:22:45PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > Now there already is a "pd" in Guix; are there any precedents on how to
> > name a second pd? "pd-polytope"? "primal-dual"? "pd-primal-dual"?
> “pd” in Guix is “Pure Data”, the visual data flow language that’s often
> used for music.  It is an option to rename it to “pure-data”.

I opted for "primal-dual" and put it into guix-past. So there is no
particular reason to rename the "pd" that already made it into guix
master.

Andreas

* Re: Packaging pd
@ 2020-09-17 22:58 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2020-09-17 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, guix-devel

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:
> I knew that three letter software names are bad, but there is worse -
> two letter software names!

It gets even worse: one letter package names.  Of course there's 'r',
but it's obviously very well established, and grandfathered in, so
that's fine.

However, in 2017 an obscure shell named 's' was added to Guix.  I
intervened and got it renamed to 's-shell' in Guix.

More recently, when I wasn't paying attention, a package called 'v' was
added to Guix.  I really wish it hadn't been.  Most of the arguments I
made against 's' apply to 'v' as well:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00066.html

      Mark

* Renaming “v” to “vlang”?
@ 2020-09-18 11:57   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-09-18 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> More recently, when I wasn't paying attention, a package called 'v' was
> added to Guix.  I really wish it hadn't been.  Most of the arguments I
> made against 's' apply to 'v' as well:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00066.html

Ah yes.  I wouldn’t mind renaming it to “vlang”, with a
‘deprecated-package’ to ease transition.

Objections?

Ludo’.

* Re: Renaming “v” to “vlang”?
@ 2020-09-18 12:24     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-09-18 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:
>
>> More recently, when I wasn't paying attention, a package called 'v' was
>> added to Guix.  I really wish it hadn't been.  Most of the arguments I
>> made against 's' apply to 'v' as well:
>>
>>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00066.html
>
> Ah yes.  I wouldn’t mind renaming it to “vlang”, with a
> ‘deprecated-package’ to ease transition.
>
> Objections?

No, sounds good to me!

--
Ricardo

* Re: Renaming “v” to “vlang”?
@ 2020-09-18 17:57     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2020-09-18 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:
>
>> More recently, when I wasn't paying attention, a package called 'v' was
>> added to Guix.  I really wish it hadn't been.  Most of the arguments I
>> made against 's' apply to 'v' as well:
>>
>>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-06/msg00066.html
>
> Ah yes.  I wouldn’t mind renaming it to “vlang”, with a
> ‘deprecated-package’ to ease transition.

That would be good, thank you! :)

      Mark