Hello, Maxim! Thanks for your effort in this, some comments with the quotes for context. Maxim Cournoyer writes: >> This fails if geiser-guile-load-path does not exist (void-variable). >> The cleanup removes other guixes, isn't it? I suggest making the >> variable buffer-local and forget about hard-coded names. :-) > > That's a good suggestion! I toyed with it and it's a bit tricky but I > think the v2 patch I'll send as a follow-up does the trick. My concern > was also supporting when a user has previously set > geiser-guile-load-path in their .emacs init file, e.g.: > > (setq geiser-guile-load-path (list (expand-file-name "~/src/guix") > (expand-file-name "~/src/shepherd"))) > > That would mean their entries don't get cleaned up (it seems this > doesn't matter in my latest tests with the v2 patch though!). That cleanup seems to me responsibility of that .emacs maintainer instead of something to take into account in .dir-locals. ;-) >> (eval . (setq guix-directory >> (locate-dominating-file default-directory ".dir-locals.el"))) >> (eval . (when (boundp 'geiser-guile-load-path) > > This check makes it so that if geiser-guile-load-path is not already > defined, nothing happens. It is likely that this is the case, as when > relying on just Geiser's autoloads, it is not loaded. The user would > have to either set explicitly before hand or call (require > 'geiser-guile), which we can't rely on. But we can drop this check. You're right, as you can only bind the keys and enable it when used, not at file load as I do, great catch. :-) > One thing that worried me was the %load-compiled-path not appearing in > the order defined from guile-geiser-load-path, but in my latest tests as > mentioned above it didn't matter. With the right directories (meaning no-conflicts between modules) it shouldn't matter, but it's weird. Looking into geiser-guile.el the load path is provided to guile through -L parameters in geiser-guile--parameters, and the extra path for Geiser code is added with geiser-guile--set-geiser-load-path (that's why it is not added to %load-compiled-path)... I'd have to check Guile to be sure why are the differences, but they seem harmless. > + (unless (fboundp 'geiser-guile-load-path) > + (defvar geiser-guile-load-path '())) This checks the function definition, not the variable, as Emacs Lisp has two separate namespaces. > I ended up using `cl-pushnew' here instead of push, as otherwise > repeated entries were accumulated. I wanted to avoid exactly that check, as the variable should end up with duplicated entries only when you call it twice from the same buffer, how could that happen? > + (make-local-variable 'geiser-guile-load-path) > + (cl-pushnew root-dir* geiser-guile-load-path > + :test #'string-equal))))) If there is some way this may happen, then this call is OK, but I'd try to stay with a cheaper push unless it's really needed, as O(1) < O(n), for almost every n. :-) Again, thank you very much for taking care of this, as it would make life easier for everybody of us who uses Geiser. Happy hacking! Miguel