unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de>
To: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Meta guix: making money with GNU Guix: slightly off topic
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 12:05:00 -0400	[thread overview]

Aloha you lovely people!  I personally believe that people should make
business out of free software.  Here are some of my business ideas
involving GNU Guix.  I invite you all to beat me to market!

- Become a competitor to jmp.chat.  jmp.chat is a free software cell
phone service.  I use it.  They charge $3 per month.  Unlimited
calling and texting.  Not to shabby.  Somewhere on their website, they
link to a wiki that has all of their source code and the nitty gritty
details on how to use their service.  Someone could make this a
service in GNU Guix and then ANYONE could compete with jmp.chat.

- Sell your emacs config.  Guix should make it possible for people to
   download and install a custom emacs.  I believe one of the guix
   developers is currently making a custom emacs for guix usage...can
   someone link to that for me?  You could make a custom channel, that
   somehow people can only access if they pay for you it.  This is
   free software, BUT people need to pay to use it.  "Conversations"
   (that's how I use jmp.chat) on my Android phone, has this business
   model.  You have to pay to download the software, but it is free
   software.

- Sell free software games.  I'm sure guix could help you do this is
   some way...

- If we package sourcehut, people could try to compete with Drew
  Devault.  Though that guy works 80 hours a week.  So best of luck
  competing against him!

Thanks!

Joshua

Apologies if this is off topic.  Please let me know if this sort of
email does not belong on guix devel!