On 2021-10-02, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Maxime Devos skribis: >> Ludovic Courtès schreef op di 28-09-2021 om 14:21 [+0200]: >>> Joshua Branson skribis: >>> >>> > Apologies if I'm speaking for something I know very little >>> > about...Wouldn't it be nice if guix home services would accept a user >>> > and a group field? For the syncthing service, perhaps the user wants to >>> > limit Syncthing's runtime permissions. So instead of running as the >>> > user, the user would run synthing as a different user with less permissions? >>> >>> That’s not possible unless the calling user is root, since you’d need >>> the ability to switch users somehow. >> >> On Debian, a user has a list of ‘subordinate user IDs’ which can be switched >> to without root: . >> >> Maybe "guix home" could use that mechanism, and this mechanism could be implemented >> on Guix System as well? > > Yes but that requires unprivileged user namespaces, which may or may not > be supported—e.g., likely unsupported when using Home on a foreign > distro. Debian finally enabled it by default in the current stable release, bullseye, which was released just a few months ago (and it was possible to enable with a boot flag in earlier releases). Not sure which distros still disable unprivledged user namespaces... I am definitely curious to test guix home on a foreign distro at some point! :) live well, vagrant