unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* help wanted: upgrade llvm to 15
@ 2022-11-01  7:14 dan
From: dan @ 2022-11-01  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1050 bytes --]

hello guix,

i'm totally new to guix and free software development, so bear me if i'm
doing something wrong.

the 0.10 version of zig just got released[1], with the new self-hosted
compiler.  during the period of development, i've also submitted a pull
request[2] for zig, so that we don't need an extra patch file[3] to
build it on guix.

however, the new zig compiler depends on llvm-15 to build, which is
unfortunately, not available in guix at the moment.  i personally would
like to do the work, but lacking the knowledge of both guix and llvm
makes it almost like an impossible task for me.  so it would be really
helpful if anyone could help with the packaging of llvm-15.

initially asked on #guix irc channel, csepp suggested me asking on
guix-devel, hoping to get more attention and help.

[1] https://ziglang.org/download/0.10.0/release-notes.html
[2] https://github.com/ziglang/zig/pull/13145
[3]
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/patches/zig-use-system-paths.patch