unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org>
To: Arvid Krein <arvidkrein@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: guix emacs package MELPA/ELPA
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 20:48:18 +0600	[thread overview]

Arvid Krein <arvidkrein@zedat.fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Hello guix-devel,
>
> this is my first time writing to this list so I hope I am at the right
> place.
> I noticed that the guix package for emacs was moved from being
> developed at Github/Gitlab to Savannah. There is the guix package

Thanks for letting me know, I thought guix.el was just dead.

> 'emacs-guix'. Some people (including me) would rather use the MELPA or
> ELPA package repositories for emacs. I noticed that the guix.el
> package in MELPA is still refering to the old locations on
> github/gitlab which are unmaintained and do not work.
> I will try to get the location fixed in MELPA. But since the package
> has moved closer to the guix project (if I understood it right) would
> it maybe make more sense to host it on ELPA (since it is the GNU
> repository)? I do not really know anything about emacs packaging which
> is why I am asking.
>
> Greetings
>
> Arvid

GNU ELPA (elpa.gnu.org) is not the correct place for guix.el.  GNU ELPA
is for the packages that are part of GNU Emacs but not distributed with
Emacs; therefore FSF holds the copyright of those packages.

NonGNU ELPA is the correct place, it is for all types of free software
Emacs packages that are not part of GNU Emacs.

I'm CC'ing emacs-devel list, with hopes that someone will give a better
explanation, or correct me.

--
Akib Azmain Turja, GPG key: 70018CE5819F17A3BBA666AFE74F0EFA922AE7F5
Fediverse: akib@hostux.social