unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* guix/scripts/refresh.scm:331:14: warning: non-literal format string.
@ 2015-11-09 11:30 Mathieu Lirzin
From: Mathieu Lirzin @ 2015-11-09 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Eric Bavier

Hi,

I haved noticed a warning when building Guix (master) with Guile 2.0.11:

  guix/scripts/refresh.scm:331:14: warning: non-literal format string
  wrote `guix/scripts/refresh.go'

Here is the snippet of the code producing this warning:

              (format (current-output-port)
                      (N_ (N_ "A single dependent package: ~2*~{~a~}~%"
                              "Building the following package would ensure ~d \
dependent packages are rebuilt; ~*~{~a~^ ~}~%"
                              total-dependents)
                          "Building the following ~d packages would ensure ~d \
dependent packages are rebuilt: ~{~a~^ ~}~%"
                          (length rebuilds))
                      (length rebuilds) total-dependents rebuilds)

I'm not sure how Gettext plural forms should be used so:

- If the code is correct, I think we should provide a comment announcing
  the warning and explaining why this is OK.

- else, how can we fix it?

TIA,

--
Mathieu Lirzin

* Re: guix/scripts/refresh.scm:331:14: warning: non-literal format string.
@ 2015-11-11 21:11 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-11-11 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Lirzin; +Cc: guix-devel, Eric Bavier

Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:

> Here is the snippet of the code producing this warning:
>
>               (format (current-output-port)
>                       (N_ (N_ "A single dependent package: ~2*~{~a~}~%"
>                               "Building the following package would ensure ~d \
> dependent packages are rebuilt; ~*~{~a~^ ~}~%"
>                               total-dependents)
>                           "Building the following ~d packages would ensure ~d \
> dependent packages are rebuilt: ~{~a~^ ~}~%"
>                           (length rebuilds))
>                       (length rebuilds) total-dependents rebuilds)
>
> I'm not sure how Gettext plural forms should be used so:
>
> - If the code is correct, I think we should provide a comment announcing
>   the warning and explaining why this is OK.
>
> - else, how can we fix it?

I believe commit 14649b8 fixes it.  It was not obvious at first sight
how to untangle this, but making it two separate ‘format’ calls does the
trick.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: guix/scripts/refresh.scm:331:14: warning: non-literal format string.
@ 2015-11-16 22:12   ` Mathieu Lirzin
From: Mathieu Lirzin @ 2015-11-16 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Eric Bavier

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Mathieu Lirzin <mthl@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> Here is the snippet of the code producing this warning:
>>
>>               (format (current-output-port)
>>                       (N_ (N_ "A single dependent package: ~2*~{~a~}~%"
>>                               "Building the following package would ensure ~d \
>> dependent packages are rebuilt; ~*~{~a~^ ~}~%"
>>                               total-dependents)
>>                           "Building the following ~d packages would ensure ~d \
>> dependent packages are rebuilt: ~{~a~^ ~}~%"
>>                           (length rebuilds))
>>                       (length rebuilds) total-dependents rebuilds)
>>
>> I'm not sure how Gettext plural forms should be used so:
>>
>> - If the code is correct, I think we should provide a comment announcing
>>   the warning and explaining why this is OK.
>>
>> - else, how can we fix it?
>
> I believe commit 14649b8 fixes it.  It was not obvious at first sight
> how to untangle this, but making it two separate ‘format’ calls does the
> trick.

Thanks for fixing it.

--
Mathieu Lirzin