unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Updating Perl to 5.23?
@ 2015-12-12 12:18 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-12-12 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

In ‘core-updates’ I want to fix a couple of non-determinism issues
related to Perl:

  https://bugs.debian.org/801621
  https://bugs.debian.org/801523

While at it, I thought we might as well upgrade Perl to 5.23.

What do people think?  I have no experience with Perl, so I’m not sure
whether this is a minor upgrade, or if it would break lots of things.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Updating Perl to 5.23?
@ 2015-12-12 13:06 ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2015-12-12 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On 12/12/2015, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> In ‘core-updates’ I want to fix a couple of non-determinism issues
> related to Perl:
>
>   https://bugs.debian.org/801621
>   https://bugs.debian.org/801523
>
> While at it, I thought we might as well upgrade Perl to 5.23.
>
> What do people think?  I have no experience with Perl, so I’m not sure
> whether this is a minor upgrade, or if it would break lots of things.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

According to <http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html>,
perl uses the version scheme such that maintenance branches (ready for
production use) are even numbers and development branches are odd
numbers. Thus, 5.23 is a development branch. From this page
<https://packages.debian.org/experimental/perl>, it seems Debian only
packages maintenance branches. Perhaps it is too risky to package
development branches (break a lot of things). How do you guys think?

* Re: Updating Perl to 5.23?
@ 2015-12-12 16:52   ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2015-12-12 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vong; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 21:06:53 +0800
Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/12/2015, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> > In ‘core-updates’ I want to fix a couple of non-determinism issues
> > related to Perl:
> >
> >   https://bugs.debian.org/801621
> >   https://bugs.debian.org/801523
> >
> > While at it, I thought we might as well upgrade Perl to 5.23.
> >
> > What do people think?  I have no experience with Perl, so I’m not sure
> > whether this is a minor upgrade, or if it would break lots of things.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ludo’.
> >

> According to <http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html>,
> perl uses the version scheme such that maintenance branches (ready for
> production use) are even numbers and development branches are odd
> numbers. Thus, 5.23 is a development branch. From this page
> <https://packages.debian.org/experimental/perl>, it seems Debian only
> packages maintenance branches. Perhaps it is too risky to package
> development branches (break a lot of things). How do you guys think?

In terms of large updates, pkg-config is up to 0.29, python just hit 3.5, and
python2 hit 2.7.11. Although in relation to odd numbers being dev releases, I
don't know about any of the above version changes if they're dev releases or
not.

* Updating Python, pkg-config, and more
@ 2015-12-12 17:54     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-12-12 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> skribis:

> In terms of large updates, pkg-config is up to 0.29, python just hit 3.5, and
> python2 hit 2.7.11. Although in relation to odd numbers being dev releases, I
> don't know about any of the above version changes if they're dev releases or
> not.

You’re welcome to try these updates in ‘core-updates’.  Note however
that testing them requires a lot of rebuilds on your side, but hey,
that has to be done anyway!  :-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Updating Perl to 5.23?
@ 2015-12-12 17:55   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-12-12 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vong; +Cc: guix-devel

Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> skribis:

> According to <http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html>,
> perl uses the version scheme such that maintenance branches (ready for
> production use) are even numbers and development branches are odd
> numbers. Thus, 5.23 is a development branch. From this page
> <https://packages.debian.org/experimental/perl>, it seems Debian only
> packages maintenance branches. Perhaps it is too risky to package
> development branches (break a lot of things). How do you guys think?

Very good point.  So I guess we’d be targeting 5.22.  Does the
5.16 → 5.22 switch sound reasonable?

Ludo’.

* Re: Updating Perl to 5.23?
@ 2015-12-13  3:51     ` Alex Vong
From: Alex Vong @ 2015-12-13  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: guix-devel

On 13/12/2015, Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 21:06:53 +0800
> Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/12/2015, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> > In ‘core-updates’ I want to fix a couple of non-determinism issues
>> > related to Perl:
>> >
>> >   https://bugs.debian.org/801621
>> >   https://bugs.debian.org/801523
>> >
>> > While at it, I thought we might as well upgrade Perl to 5.23.
>> >
>> > What do people think?  I have no experience with Perl, so I’m not sure
>> > whether this is a minor upgrade, or if it would break lots of things.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Ludo’.
>> >

>> According to <http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html>,
>> perl uses the version scheme such that maintenance branches (ready for
>> production use) are even numbers and development branches are odd
>> numbers. Thus, 5.23 is a development branch. From this page
>> <https://packages.debian.org/experimental/perl>, it seems Debian only
>> packages maintenance branches. Perhaps it is too risky to package
>> development branches (break a lot of things). How do you guys think?
>>

> In terms of large updates, pkg-config is up to 0.29, python just hit 3.5,
> and
> python2 hit 2.7.11. Although in relation to odd numbers being dev releases,
> don't know about any of the above version changes if they're dev releases
> or
> not.

I think they are not. From this PEP
<https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0440/#developmental-releases>,
development releases of python are tagged with `X.Y.devN`.

Also, we can apply the *Debian test*[1]. Debian packaged python 2.7.11
<https://packages.debian.org/sid/python> into unstable, so we should
be fine. Debian also packaged pkg-config 0.29
<https://packages.debian.org/sid/pkg-config>, so it also be fine...

> --
> Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   אפרים פלשנר
> GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
> Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted

[1]: We know Debian is *stable* (even unstable is not unstable, real
testing goes to experimental, the worst thing happened to me was
gnome-3 stopped working), so they should have done the right thing.

Cheers,
Alex

* Re: Updating Perl to 5.23?
@ 2015-12-13 10:30     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-12-13 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Vong; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Alex Vong <alexvong1995@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> According to <http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html>,
>> perl uses the version scheme such that maintenance branches (ready for
>> production use) are even numbers and development branches are odd
>> numbers. Thus, 5.23 is a development branch. From this page
>> <https://packages.debian.org/experimental/perl>, it seems Debian only
>> packages maintenance branches. Perhaps it is too risky to package
>> development branches (break a lot of things). How do you guys think?
>
> Very good point.  So I guess we’d be targeting 5.22.  Does the
> 5.16 → 5.22 switch sound reasonable?

I went ahead with the update in ‘core-updates’, along with a couple of
determinism patches (commits 4de3507 and 4187fe7.)

Ludo’.