Hi, Mark H Weaver skribis: > It's crucially important to the future vitality of this project that we > retain our freedom to evolve the design of Guix, the way packages are > specified in Guix, as well as the set of core packages. These freedoms > will be drastically curtailed if we support a decentralized system of > externally-managed repositories. Therefore, we must not do this. We never made any API stability guarantee and we won’t make any such guarantee in the foreseeable future, for the reasons you give. Nevertheless, external package repos have worked reasonably well in practice so far, because things don’t change that much. And it’s great that people can maintain their own package sets like this. A large external package tree may run into problems more easily though, because it would necessarily depend on a larger subset of “our” packages and features. Someone starting such a project should be aware of these risks. Guix APIs may change anytime, because we want to be able to reorganize packages, to improve Guix’s design, and so on. Maintaining stable APIs is not a goal, at least not at this stage. Ludo’.