Ludovic Courtès writes: >> - Include synopsis and descriptions. Maybe we should include all fields >> that are searched by `guix search`. This incurs a cost on the >> database size but it would fix the `guix search` speed issue. Size >> increases by some 10 MiB. > > Oh so this is going beyond file search, right? > > Perhaps it would make sense to focus on file search only as a first > step, and see what can be done with synopses/descriptions (like Arun and > zimoun did before) later, separately? We can do this in a 2nd step, no problem, I only did the benchmark to answer Simon's question whether we could include both data in the same database and which size/speed cost it would incur. > It would be nice to see whether/how this could be integrated with > third-party channels. Of course it’s not a priority, but while > designing this feature, we should keep in mind that we might want > third-party channel authors to be able to offer such a database for > their packages. Wouldn't it work automatically for any substitute server? >> - Find a way to garbage-collect the database(s). My intuition is that >> we should have 1 database per Guix checkout and when we `guix gc` a >> Guix checkout we collect the corresponding database. > > If we download a fresh database every time, we might as well simply > overwrite the one we have? But then we would miss the database when switching Guix generation. Cheers! -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/