Ludovic Courtès writes: > Pierre Neidhardt skribis: > >> Ludovic Courtès writes: >> >>> I would lean towards keeping it separate, so that it’s an optional >>> feature (given that it relies on downloading an external database). >> >> I was leaning towards downloading the database with "guix pull", so that >> the "filesearch" subcommand would not download anything. > > Like substitutes, it should be an optional feature IMO, which means we > need to keep clear boundaries. We can still fetch the database with =guix pull= while making it optional. > There’s also the question of whether we should have a system-wide > database so that each user doesn’t have to download it, especially if > it’s relatively big. I'm leaning towards storing them in /var/guix/. Something like this: /var/guix/filesearch-databases/guix-$COMMIT.db /var/guix/filesearch-databases/guix-$OTHER_COMMIT.db > Apologies for throwing more questions than answers into the mix. :-) No problem, it's a good sign that we are going forward :) -- Pierre Neidhardt https://ambrevar.xyz/