unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
To: Leo Prikler <leo.prikler@student.tugraz.at>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Scala package
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 11:44:42 +0200	[thread overview]

Leo Prikler <leo.prikler@student.tugraz.at> writes:

> Hi Julien,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 18.05.2021, 01:01 +0200 schrieb Julien
> Lepiller:
>> Hi Guix!
>>
>> I have the attached file that build Scala, although it's not
>> bootstrapped at all. It contains %binary-scala, a few
>> dependencies of
>> Scala we haven't packaged yet, and the final scala, built from
>> %binary-scala, without sbt (which requires Scala too).
>>
>> Since I've tried and failed to bootstrap Scala for so long, I
>> think
>> it's time to give up. I can't always create miracles.
>
> Some points relevant to bootstrapping:
> - The last version, that ships "scalai" written in Java seems to
> be
>   v1.4.0+4.  Perhaps one can use scalai to bootstrap scalac
>   within it.
> - The last version, that does not "require" sbt is 2.11.x,
>   though with your workaround we can also build later versions.

We tried building a clean bootstrap chain for Scala for years.
Back then I went down the rabbit hole and found that early scalac
is written in Pizza; but it turned out that Pizza is written in
Pizza and is released under the old Artistic License, which is
considered non-free.

    https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2018-04-08.log#230002
    https://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2018-04-09.log#073740

I pointed a branch at an old Scala commit that contains the old
Socos compiler source, which ostensibly are written in Java, but
actually are not:

    https://github.com/rekado/scala-bootstrap/tree/bootstrap

This is at around version 1.4.0.4, as you wrote above.

Since the old days Scala Native has grown considerably, and
perhaps we can reuse some of its native libraries.  I’m not too
hopeful, because the bulk of it is still written in Scala,
obviously, but there are parts that are written in C / C++, which
might come in handy.

    https://github.com/scala-native/scala-native

--
Ricardo