On 2021-09-23 22:45, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hi, > > Andrew Tropin skribis: > >> I'm about a week on wip-guix-home branch completely and Guix Home works >> fine. There are no any major issues on rde-devel and guix-devel mailing >> lists and it seems that branch is ready to be merged. > > Yay! I’d like to take another look (I know I’ve been terribly MIA, > apologies!), and I hope other folks familiar with Guix System can > comment as well. Sure, let's wait for reviews/comments until next Thursday. > >> There is a discussion[fn:2] on moving home services to (gnu services >> ...) modules, which is likely to happen, but it's possible to do the >> migration relatively painless by re-exporting necessary symbols in >> (gnu home-services ...) at first and removing them completely later. > > I know it can be annoying to existing Guix Home users, but I’d prefer > not to carry pre-merge baggage; that is, we’d just rename and not > provide those modules under their former names at all. > Yep, it is very likely that it will be annoying, but I think it's doable. It should be a relatively simple migration for users. >> Another important part of the work related to Guix Home project is >> covering related modules and cli with tests, but it can be done in >> parallel and is not a blocker for merging. > > Do you have ideas of a possible testing strategy? Yep, I think we can do the same thing to tests/guix-system.sh, check that `guix home build` provides desired results on simple configurations and `guix home search` shows correct results on different input strings. > > We should be able to test at least the CLI, either arranging to avoid > large builds (as in tests/guix-build.sh) or talking to the “real” > guix-daemon (as in tests/guix-pack-relocatable.sh) if we’re going to > need packages. > > It’d be great to have this part ready soonish. I hope to work on it next week. > > The way I see it, in 1.4 (2.0?), we’d mark Guix Home as a “technology > preview” in the manual with a prominent note. That will allow us to get > feedback from new users and to fine-tune code correspondingly, and > that’ll make it clear to users that things are still subject to change. Marked it as a subject to change in Home Configuration section of the manual, patch in the reply to Oleg. > > Thoughts? > > Thanks, > Ludo’.