Felix Lechner writes: > Hi Akib, > > On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 4:35 AM Akib Azmain Turja wrote: >> >> Fortunately, I have Ubuntu (yet another nonfree >> distribution) installed and it didn't broke, so used that to add that >> 100 GB to my Guix partition. But I found that GRUB is still broken. >> Then I appended "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" of Guix to the same file of Ubuntu >> and managed to boot into Guix > > Like Tobias, I cannot tell how Grub broke for you (although I do not > dispute that it did). > > Grub needs to find a series of secondary files that, for EFI, are > stored on the ESP. [1] For a traditional MBR/BIOS install, people use > a small (1 MB or so) "BIOS Boot Partition" [2] although you probably > aren't using that because your Windoze would not be able to use GPT > without EFI. (Without GPT, Grub finds some place outside the partition > table.) > > I think you are using EFI and an ESP. How did you know? I used to use Windows 10 even using a non-GPT (MBR maybe?) disk. And I still have that installed (though I don't use, not even once in a month), just configured to boot with EFI. > > You may be encountering the issue that both Ubuntu and Guix are trying > to manage the boot process. There is theoretically a way both Grub > installations could coexist on the ESP but I am not sure they do. I > personally would run Grub only in Ubuntu or Guix. Both distrubtions have their own dedicate directory in ESP, so IMHO that shouldn't be a problem. And I have several OS installed simultaneously for several years, without any problem. > > In your case. it may be hard to pick one over the other. > > Ubuntu scans your hard drive for other operating systems, including > Winblows, but probably misses Guix. Guix on the other hand may > miss the other two but knows the exact paths needed to boot into your > most recent "Guix System" configuration. > >> Is there any way to reinstall bootloader without the costly "guix system >> reconfigure"? > > To reinstall in Guix, you may be able to run 'grub-install /dev/sdX' > but that does not stop the competition between Ubuntu and Guix. I may > also make it harder for you to boot into Ubuntu or Winnows. > >> Another non-important question: Why did Guix's GRUB broke while >> Ubuntu's GRUB survived? > > I think they use the same folder on the ESP. No. Not at all. > > Maybe there is an expert who can chime in. > > Thanks for using Guix! I would thank the Guix developer, who have developed such a wonderful OS, which (almost) never breaks. > > Kind regards, > Felix Lechner > > P.S. You can boot many systems manually from the Grub shell, but it > would be an extraordinary burden to type the full Guix paths for your > kernel and your initrd. > > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_system_partition > [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_boot_partition -- Akib Azmain Turja This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key. It's fingerprint is: 7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6 66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5