Hi pukkamustard, git-annex is complex but no so complicated when you learn the two foundamental concepts (sorry if I say something obvious to you!): 1. only the names of the files and some other metadata are stored in a git repository when using git-annex, the content is not; when you "git annex add some-media" it is (locally!) stored in a special folder named .git/annex/ 2. content can be transfered (get, put) from one repository to another and the tool used to transfer depends (automatically choosen by git-annex) on the remote where the data is (rsync, cp or curl), there are also many "special remotes" available for data transfer. (see https://git-annex.branchable.com/walkthrough/#index11h2 for an ssh git-annex remote) See https://git-annex.branchable.com/how_it_works/ for a general description and https://git-annex.branchable.com/internals/ for a description of the content of each git-annex managed (and reserved) directory. Just to make it clear, you can have one or more "plain" git remotes just for location tracking and one or more git-annex remotes (also special remotes) for file transfes (and location tracking if they are also regular git remotes) pukkamustard writes: [...] > It ended up sharing remotes that are no longer existant or > not-accessible and somehow it was hard/impossible to remove reference > to those remotes (afaiu Git Annex remotes can only be marked as "dead" > and not removed - > https://git-annex.branchable.com/git-annex-dead/). As the number of > such remotes increased, I became more and more confused. https://git-annex.branchable.com/git-annex-dead/: --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- This command exists to deal with situations where data has been lost, and you know it has, and you want to stop being reminded of that fact. When a repository is specified, indicates that the repository has been irretrievably lost, so it will not be listed in eg, git annex whereis. --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--- If you want git-annex to definitely forget about dead repositories (throwing away historical data about past locations of files) you can use "git-annex forget --drop-dead" If you want to remove a remote (and stop syncing with it) you can do it as you do with any git remote: "git remote rm " [...] > Still, I would recommend to NOT store the videos in a remote Git > repository but a publicly accessible rsync server as a Git Annex > special remote (https://git-annex.branchable.com/special_remotes/). Good catch! This way we can still use the current Savannah git hosted remote (not supporting git-annex-shell, AFAIK) for location tracking and the same (or more) rsync servers we are using to store media. Thanks! Gio' -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures