unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Discussion on Guix funding // future
@ 2024-10-24 22:08 Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2024-10-24 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel\@gnu.org

Hi,

Recently I've been discussing with other members of the Guix community
about several things we consider we could be improved.

The most important one in my opinion is the funding. I don't know (does
anybody know?) how Guix is funded, and it worries me.

I've been funded to work on the bootstrapping part of Guix by NlNet
grants. I've been extremely lucky, and I'm very grateful for it. And I
tried to spread the money, paying people who deserved it.

Grants are great for specific issues, but we are not going to make Guix
survive using only that kind of grants.

First of all, these grants don't pay much, and they are just for a year
or so. Many of us have the technical skills to get a job that pays way
more than a grant and is way more stable. This makes doing something
ethical and good become a punishment, and it's forcing many people to
choose. Most of the people don't have the privilege to choose.

Second, grants work kind of well for specific tasks, but what happens
with the structural work? Is anybody actually getting paid for it?

Finally, grants push individuals to try to do things, but don't
encourage collective action (also the amounts are not high enough for
collective action). That's not necessarily bad, but those individual
projects also drain energy from those who are structural to Guix.
Patches have to be reviewed, and commits need to be merged.

On a side note, I think we are missing reviewers, maintainers and
commiters, and I think that view is shared in the community. Let's use
my case as an example: I raised my hand to become a commiter, and I
don't know how that was lost in the mailboxes and nothing happened. At
this moment, I don't care anymore: when I need to make a commit, I know
there's people that trust me and I just ping them and they do it for me.
Should I bother people try to get commit access again? My life is very
comfortable as is... Some questions come again to my mind: Am I really
ready for the challenge? Am I going to be a good commiter? Is it fair to
continue like I am right now?

This issue and some others could be fixed with money. Simple, huh?

I think we should try to invest more on the people, and that probably
means paying them for the work they do. At least to some, so they can
invest more time and care in others.

This we can't do with grants with the NlNet flavor. We need other kind
of approach.

Sovereign Tech Fund has a very interesting model for maintainers, but
still lacks the ability to invest on people freely.

Many people has been thanklessly working for this project, and some will
continue to anyway, but not having a proper funding model is probably
keeping us in an uncomfortable situation. The lack of people is pushing
away new people, and we are in a vicious circle where I think people
that are less stubborn than me just go spend time on other projects.

We have had cases of people giving too much for the project for too
long. I don't think we acknowledge that enough, and probably we should.
We should take care of our people.

I think free software projects use to be precarious and we are too used
to that. However, I think we should try to break with that image, and
try to push for funding collectively, so we can cover structural costs:
people and machines.

I think I'm just somehow sharing my will to help, and also trying to
encourage some conversation about the funding and how we could do
better. If anyone has ideas, please share.

On a second (and last) side note, I also discussed with some members of
the community about the status of Guile. I may send separate email for
that, but it would be great if we could use some of the energy we have
to give Guile some love. We are too Guile-dependent to just let it rot.

Thanks for all you do,

Ekaitz

* Re: Discussion on Guix funding // future
@ 2024-10-25 14:21 Noé Lopez via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Noé Lopez via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-10-25 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey everyone,

As a relatively new user and contributor I thought I should share my
point of view.

When I started using Guix, the documentation was the greatest thing
ever, few projects have a manual like this that can help you in so many
situations.  Of course the lack of wifi drivers was an issue, and I
wished it had a mention that solutions exist, even if not endorsing
them.

This, in my opinion, should be improved as it turns Guix into a hostile
project towards users that *need* these non-free drivers to make it
work, as bad as it is.  What I mean by hostile is you will see on the
internet people saying don’t even dare trying to talk about it on the
list.  Or the nonguix project having to mention to not ask for help
about itself.  Trying to silence people in this way is a real shame and
we can’t just act like non-free drivers don’t exist and people don’t
need them.

This leads me to my next point, which is there’s no reference to
external resources from the guix websites/manual.  Things like the
toys.whereis channel webring, system crafters, the lemmy community, the
many channels like rde, guix-science, or even nonguix.  These are
important parts of the ecosystem and should not be left out as they are,
we should acknowledge them and reference them.

Furthermore, on the topic of mail, I totally agree with David
Thompson. Mail is cool, I get it, but another way to contribute like
pull requests on a forgejo/gitlab mirror would be much, much easier.
Mail might seem like the default easy thing for many of you, but for
anyone that’s a new contributor needing to configure send-mail and
making sure that your email was received and that you receive the
replies, not seeing it appear on the issues list for a little while is
quite inconvenient compared to using git, pushing on your fork and
continuing with a web interface from there.

Overall, Guix is a great project but it should take care of opening
itself to keep up with the times.

– Noé