unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
To: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: No more space left on device issue
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 10:52:57 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi Ludovic!

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Indeed, it’s low on free inodes.  :-)
>
> That said, 37 G is not that much (my laptop’s root partition, which
> includes the store, is 64 G, and I expect most users are in this
> ballpark).

I understand that my partition size is not very large; This is a 2011
era laptop with a 64 GB SSD. Although quite dated and behind todays'
standard, it's useful in exposing the limits of the software faster ;).

What I don't understand is why the all the inodes are used at only 71%
of disk usage (11GB left!). There's not much else than Guix there; I
have a documents folder (700 MB with 4k files) and some git
repositories (2.6 GB, 38k files), but that's it.

Assuming that the problem is related to the Guix store being very
file/link intensive and that the Hydra servers deplete their inodes at a
similar ratio, that would lead to their 1.5 TB EXT4 filesystem being
more like 1 TB of usable storage.

> My root partition has different settings though (it’s really ext3):
>
> $ sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda2
> tune2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
> Filesystem volume name:   root
> Last mounted on:          /
> Filesystem UUID:          c5307e6b-d1ba-499d-89c5-cb0b143577c4
> Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
> Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
> Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery sparse_super large_file
>
> Could it be that one of these explains the difference?

I guess we can't really compare ext3 and ext4. We'd need a filesystem
versed person to shed some light here. I'd be more interested to know if
the Hydra servers can (nearly) max their ext4 filesystem without running
out of inodes.

Thanks for your reply,

Maxim