Leo Famulari writes: > After creating a special "for tests only" xorg-server package for GTK+'s > test suite recently, I started thinking about what other packages could > receive the same treatment. > > Tzdata is an important package to keep up to date. Amazingly, some > governments do announce time zone changes only days or weeks before they > take effect. Without an up-to-date tzdata, users' clocks will be wrong > in those locales. > > Currently, updating tzdata will cause about 1400 package rebuilds. > However, if don't use the primary tzdata package in the test suites of > glib and R, a tzdata update will only cause ~388 rebuilds. > > I checked that glib and R do not retain any references to tzdata after > they are built, so we could create a tzdata package with a "fixed" > version that will not be updated very often. > > So, we could update this package more freely, at the cost of some extra > complexity in package maintenance. > > What do you think? This sounds good; I was thinking the same after seeing the tzdata update in core-updates. "libical" still causes a fair amounts of rebuilds, but it's a lot more manageable than the current 1315 packages :-)