Ludo', Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Tobias Geerinckx-Rice skribis: > >> Ludovic Courtès wrote: >>> I suppose we could use some specially-formatted Git commits to >>> pass >>> messages to users. I’m afraid it would be hard to get those >>> messages >>> translated. >> >> I beg you not to do this, even as fodder for a friendly front >> end. Just use a structured text file. Add dates. Affected >> packages. Metadata. Hell, use sexps if you like. Fix >> typos/add >> caveats to old news items when needed, not through errata >> commits. >> Don't confuse git log with a log like some people confuse git >> blame >> with comments. > > The interesting part here is that commits are anchored in the > version > control history. Thus, you could easily tell whether a news > item is > relevant or not. Oh, sure. To clarify: I'm pro storing the news items in the repository. In fact I think it's a bad idea to keep it anywhere else (such as the Web site, but by all means generate a pretty news feed from guix.git on there). I just think it should be a regular file. Don't shove News metadata into the commit message. When it makes sense, update the News file(s) in the same commit as the code — as is done for other documentation, which is what this is. Kind regards, T G-R