unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: ‘guix environment’ vs. ‘.bash_profile’
@ 2020-09-13  5:24 Brendan Tildesley
From: Brendan Tildesley @ 2020-09-13  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Doom Emacs has a tool `doom doctor' for diagnosing common errors.
Perhaps there could be a `guix doctor' that would check for such things.
`guix offload test' is already somewhat like that but for offloading,
althought it could improve. Any bug report from a user where the
solution is to tell them to fix their environment instead of changing
guix could also have a check added to guix doctor. Also, we could
collect knowledge on aspects of GNU/Linux that are unique to Guix that
one often doesn't learn about on other distributions and include a page
in the manual. for example I never had any use for sudo -E or sudo -i
until I started using Guix.

* ‘guix environment’ vs. ‘.bash_profile’
@ 2020-09-12 12:49 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-09-12 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hello Guix!

One thing that often trips up newcomers, especially on other distros, is
the interaction of ‘guix environment’ and ‘.bashrc’ etc. when it comes
to setting environment variables.  Often the first experience is “why
doesn’t ‘guix environment’ set environment variables correctly?”.

The manual does explain this in a footnote¹ but let’s face it, people
don’t read footnotes and consistently define environment variables in
the “wrong” shell startup file.

What can we do about that?  Should we invoke the shell such that it
sources our ‘etc/profile’ after its own initialization file?  Any other
ideas?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

¹ https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-environment.html#FOOT10