Hi Marius, Your work and thoughts on the SQL upgrades are very interesting. After the last FOSDEM I wrote up some thoughts about service states and their backups that you may find interesting. https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-02/msg00002.html Unfortunately I have not found the time to work on any of this since. But feel free to steal freely any content that proves useful! Best wishes, Alex Marius Bakke writes: > Hello Guix, > > Some services require administrator interaction when they are updated. > The most prominent examples here are MySQL/MariaDB and PostgresQL. > > For the former, running 'mysql_upgrade' in-place is generally sufficient > and fairly safe. > > For the latter, the procedure is more involved, and requires making a > full backup, as well as access to the old _and_ new PostgreSQL > packages. > > There is a patch to update MariaDB here: > > https://issues.guix.gnu.org/43355 > > Users of mysql-service-type will need to run 'mysql_upgrade' afterwards. > > I have been considering adding an AUTO-UPGRADE? parameter of > mysql-service-type that runs 'mysql_upgrade' as part of the activation > script. > > Another approach is adding a 'herd upgrade' Shepherd action along with a > news entry describing what to do. Of course it is possible to do both, > having 'auto-upgrade?' _and_ a Shepherd action for manual upgrades. > > Thoughts? > > While that works for MariaDB, I'm not sure what to do about Postgres. > For those unfamiliar, the procedure for upgrading from PostgreSQL 10 > (current default) to 11 (available in Guix) is roughly: > > sudo cp -a /var/lib/postgresql/data /var/lib/postgresql/data10 > sudo -u postgres $(guix build postgresql)/bin/pg_upgrade \ > --old-bindir=$(guix build postgresql@10)/bin \ > --new-bindir=$(guix build postgresql)/bin \ > --old-datadir=/var/lib/postgresql/data10 \ > --new-datadir=/var/lib/postgresql/data > > In order to automate it, we need to somehow preserve the "previous" > version of PostgreSQL so that we can reach it when the major version > changes. Or add an 'upgrade-from' parameter to > postgresql-service-type. > > How do other distros deal with this? > > On a related note, a 'herd backup' action might be a prerequisite for > doing such potentially dangerous operations... > > I will try to add a 'mysql_upgrade' pass to 'mysql-service-type' in time > for the MariaDB upgrade, but tips regarding backups, potential pitfalls, > and especially Postgres welcome. > > PS: I'm mostly busy for some time still, but can be reached on #guix or > by private email if you want my feedback on something. :-)