unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Specifying dependencies in manifest
@ 2020-12-13 12:50 Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2020-12-13 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

how to specify "dependencies of package" in a manifest?

Background: I'm using a manifest file for defining my development
environment and keeping up with the dependencies of some of the packages
is cumbersome.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Specifying dependencies in manifest
@ 2020-12-14 10:41 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-12-14 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> skribis:

> how to specify "dependencies of package" in a manifest?

There’s no standard procedure that does that currently (it’s buried in
(guix scripts environment)) but it’d be nice to have.

Ludo’.

* Re: Specifying dependencies in manifest
@ 2020-12-14 12:52   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-12-14 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 11:41, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

>> how to specify "dependencies of package" in a manifest?
>
> There’s no standard procedure that does that currently (it’s buried in
> (guix scripts environment)) but it’d be nice to have.

I had a tiny patch that export ’package-environment-inputs’ as
’inputs-of’ and used it to create profiles. But my motivation had been
killed by bug#38529.  And now, it is rare that I need it and I use:

  guix time-machine -C channels -- environment foo --ad-hoc bar

because it is really rare that I need the dependencies of more that one
package.  Anyway!  It could be nice to have.

Maybe this function could go to the module imported by manifest.  WDYT?

All the best,
simon

* Re: Specifying dependencies in manifest
@ 2020-12-15 11:19     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-12-15 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: guix-devel

zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> skribis:

> Maybe this function could go to the module imported by manifest.  WDYT?

Yes, that could be a utility procedure in (guix packages).
(bag-direct-inputs (package->bag p)) may not be far from it…

Ludo’.