Hey, In May last year (2020), I submitted an application to NLNet. The work I set out wasn't something I was doing at the time, but something I hadn't yet found time to work on, tooling specifically around security issues. The application got a bit lost, probably somewhat down to email issues on my end. Anyway, things picked up again in February of this year (2021), and this is now something I'm looking to do roughly over the next 8 months. I've been working on stuff in and around Guix for I think around 5 years now, and in that time I have attempted some big projects, particularly things like the Guix Data Service and Guix Build Coordinator. I've fit all of that around a regular non-Guix related work. The support of NLNet means I'm able to set aside more time for Guix and this work, exactly how much more time I can dedicate is something I'm still working on. There's a more complete description of the aims and tasks here [1], this email is effectively the start of the work. I want to get lots of input and feedback on the plans I've set out, as well as checking if there's any related or overlapping work going on. 1: https://git.cbaines.net/guix/tooling-to-improve-security-and-trust/about/ I'm particularly excited by some of the initial work. I'm hoping getting some initial version of Guix Data Service subscriptions in place will open up loads of opportunities, and getting data about package replacements (grafts) in to the Guix Data Service will be generally helpful as well. Once that's in place, I want to tackle 3 areas: security issues from a project perspective, security issues from a individual user perspective and prototype some enhancements to the patch review process, specifically around security. In terms of looking at security from a project perspective, I'm thinking about these kinds of needs/questions: - What security issues affect this revision of Guix? (latest or otherwise) - How do Guix contributors find out about new security issues that affect Guix revisions they're interested in? From the user perspective, I want to look at things like: - How do I find out what (if any) security issues affect the software I'm currently running (through Guix)? - How can I get notified when a new security issue affects the software I'm currently running (through Guix)? Please let me know if you have any comments or questions! Thanks, Chris