unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Meta Guix: why guix is awesome!
@ 2021-04-28 17:20 Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-04-28 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello guix developers!

Guix is brilliantly fantastic!  I thought I would write down some of the
things that make guix such a great community and a powerful free
software tool.  I intend this email to encourage guix developers and
perhaps encourage other free software projects to copy guix's success.

1. It encourages non-english speaking participation.  Guix's manual is
   a work of art that has been translated into a few languages:
   German, Spanish, French, Russian, and Chinese?  Honestly my font in
   my browser can't read the last translation...but I think it's
   Mandorin (spelling?)  Anyway, guix has a strong push to NOT be an
   American only project.  It also has some email lists for
   non-english speakers.  That is awesome!  I had never thought about
   non-English mailing lists, but there certainly are non-english
   speakers that would love to get help.  Also the website is
   available many languages.

2. Guix's leadership is non-political.  I recall on the mailing list
   an issue raised about freedom of speech concerns.  Many emotion
   emails went back and forth over this issue with guix developers
   expressing a variety of opinions.  I actually felt encouraged that
   Ludo did NOT say anything in this email exchange.  That signaled to
   me that Ludo doesn't care what your political views are.  Anyone
   and everyone is free to contribute to guix regardless of what you
   believe!

3. It has great marketing.  I think this really ought to be stressed a
   lot!  Guix has numerous blog posts that demonstrate that the
   project is alive.  And they are really well written.  And engaging!
   I absolutely love guix's blog!  And the website is hip!  And it's
   got great artwork!

4.  Some people work full time on guix (and get paid).  There are a
   few guix developers who develop A LOT for guix.  I think the main
   source of income for several prominent guix developers is from
   cluster deployments as seen here: https://hpc.guix.info/about/ Also
   some developers get grants to work for guix as well.  This is a
   personal view, but I do believe that free software ought to somehow
   pay some developers.  That's how they can continue to develop the
   software.

5.  Guix's leadership lets the best idea win.  I personally think
   Ludo's last line on his email is genius: "Thoughts?".  It's a great
   idea to solicit feedback, and I believe that Ludo genuinely wants
   your thought and opinions.

6.  Guix has big goals!  What is org-mode?  Emacs?  Guix?  The
   GNU/Hurd?  All of these projects are sometimes hard to define.
   There are so many things that you can do with guix!  Declarable
   operating system.  Bootstrapped distro.  Portable distro.  Server
   manager.  Soon maybe a guix home manager. This maybe violates the
   unix philosophy of small programs that do things well, but perhaps
   because guix dreams big it can dare crazy things!

7.  Guix is NOT linux development!  Guix encourages newbie developers
   by sometimes fixing their really AWFUL code (or documentation).
   AND NOT being angry at those trivial errors.  For example, some of
   my documentation "fixes" were me pointing out an tiny issue with
   the manual.  Then I sent a diff that didn't work.  And someone else
   submitted a patch on my behalf that did my suggestion.  It's nice
   to know that you won't be needlessly insulted while contributing to
   guix.  A great example of this can be found in the irc log.  I
   recall one such instance of a newbie asking about a silly
   bug/feature.  In a moment of frustration I thought about saying
   something rude (I did not say it).  Ludo actually responded to the
   question with something like, "That's a great point.  Why don't you
   open a bug report here, so that we can properly discuss it?"  That
   was very kind/smart!

Thoughts?

Joshua

P.S.  If this email is not really suited here, please let me know.  I
know I've sent a few emails to guix devel that may not have been
suitable.  Please let me know if that is the case.  :)

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus