On 2024-02-02, Attila Lendvai wrote: >> > for an average unix user a service is a process that is running in the >> > backgroud, doing stuff mostly without any user interaction. you can >> > try to argue this away, but i'm afraid that this is the state of >> > things. >> >> >> I don’t think it’s a good idea to aim to satisfy some presumed “average >> unix user”, because such a user would not be familiar with many concepts >> introduced by Guix (e.g. “guix shell” or “guix system”). > > > the primary argument was that two, very different abstractions share the same name, and in shared contexts. > > it's just icing on the cake that one of the abstractions is nothing like what most users understand by the name 'service'. In the systemd realm, there are different types of services, I think one is called "one-shot" which is effectively quite similar to the types of services guix has... they do something once, and there is no running daemon. So, for better or worse, guix is not so far from one of the most widespread and commonly used systems here... live well, vagrant